K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1982 Dart K Car questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
MarkosJal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Dart K Car questions

I have a 1982 K car model Dart

When I bought this used it ran fine in the city it was purchased, but when I took it to Sea Level in the Heat, it started Smoking. I had it tuned up at sea level in the heat , where I live now , and the smoking has seemed to have gone away at every altitude, but the performance seems poor when accelerating from a stop (this is not as bad at sea level)

I have read somewhere that many of these models required a high altitude kit , and it looks as if some aftermarket (or afterthought) stuff has been installed . One item appears to be a relay that connects to the radiator fan. Is this possibly a part of the high elevation kit?

Also I have replaced the oil cap on this as it was leaking out the seal. The new cap seems to leak from a rivet in the middle of it. Is it possible there is excessive oil pressure?

Another thing worth noting is that when I bought this car it had a fresh Air Filter. After a few months the air filter was filled with oil that apparently came from a hose on the back of the air filter box as best can tell. Any Ideas on this?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1982 Dart K Car questions