Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

can you put a turbo on a 4 cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: can you put a turbo on a 4 cylinder?

ur best/ safest bet would be to find a performance shop around where u live... if u live in MI, i can help u out.

u might have to spend a little $$ but the guys at these shops know what turbos would work best for ur application. like said before, u can really turbocharge anything. if u do it urself, find a turbo off of a similar vechile with close to the same compression.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:30 AM
rockominal

I'm not so mechanically inclined like you people seem to be, but isn't a turbocharger kinda demanding as far as the lubrication system is concerned as well? I would assume synthetic oil would be in order but from what I know, the turbo impeller literally floats on a coating of oil and free wheels on the bearing surface which seems pretty precise. It would seem engine compression integrity would have to be better than "acceptable." Better than stock oil and compression rings(?)
I don't know homey. I'm kinda in thesame boat and I figure just put a 3.9L V6 into it and get it over with. I guess you "don't" have an automatic (I don't) so for manual's scenario it would seem the V6 bell housing would simply hook up to the pre existing I4's former clutch, input shaft, etc.. with no modification. The engine compartments on his things look pretty much the same to me. I know that's at least what I would want to do.

Regards; =R.o.C.k.=

Old 01-23-2006, 01:41 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are different kinds of turbos, some have ball bearings in them. Regular oil is useable, especially if it's intercooled, but I would and do always highly recommend the use of synthetic oil regardless of induction so long as the engine doesn't have tons of miles on it. The main thing about turbos and oil is allowing the turbo to cool down before shutting the engine off. Most oil damage is from not allowing enough cool down time after hard running, especially in non-intercooled turbos. Since the turbo impeller turns in the tens of thousands of RPM's it generates massive amounts of heat and if not given proper cool down time before shut down the oil that remains in the turbo can burn to an ash called coking. Since intercooled turbos run cooler they are less likely to have this happen, but it still can happen. Synthetic oils are far less likely to have this happen since they can withstand much greater temperatures without breaking down and coking. The only times you really need to give a minute or three cool down time before shutting the engine off is after having just gotten off the freeway or after having ran it hard like in racing. The optimal time to shut it off is after the coolant has cycled and the fan has kicked off, this is the point at which the engine is at it coolest and it will be noticeable by the drop in the temperature gauge before it starts to go up in temperature again. As long as some common sense is used a turbo will last for several hundred thousand miles.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:52 AM
Cr4zYH3aD

Id say yes you can. 4 cylidners are made for turbos. But are weak. Can stand around 6-9 psi stock (but more like 6). 9 with upgraded components, and 15+ with a built and major component change.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:37 AM
rockominal

Here's a pretty cool link for the vans.
I guess general info: http://hhscott.com/93tmv/turbo.htm

Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Gump
Record Breaker

rockominal that isnt general info, compresor maps and efficenticy rates are advanced turbo know how and wouldnt even read that thegreek since it will just confuse you even more.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
X_Spearmint
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember there's more to building for a turbo than psi, while that's a big thing since too much psi will tear your engine apart you have to also think about heat. Turbos produce a whole lot of heat, so while 4cyl take less building for psi(most have lower psi than larger motors) they typically can not handle as much heat. Housing size is a big reason for too much heat, though all turbos produce ALOT of heat. Intercoolers are a definite if you want to run much boost at all, also you have to think about things like location of the ambient air intake, heat shielding, oil cooling, etc. There's alot involved. As far as for takeoff speed, if you go with a turbo you'll want a small one as they spool faster, meaning the turbo gets up to speed and provides the boost at a faster rate than a larger, more powerful, turbo, though the small ones won't give you the high topspeed. If you really want lowend torque(this is what gets you going in the lowend, not hp) I say supercharge it, the power is instant, no lag like a turbo has.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Whatsrt4
Rookie

Sorry but the intercooler only cools the air going to the intake (cooler air = more HP). The turbo is usually oil cooled or water & oil cooled. A turbo timer can also help with cokeing ,as it runs engine untill cool enough.You can also use an oil cooler as with an srt4 turbo engine.
ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

There are different kinds of turbos, some have ball bearings in them. Regular oil is useable, especially if it's intercooled, but I would and do always highly recommend the use of synthetic oil regardless of induction so long as the engine doesn't have tons of miles on it. The main thing about turbos and oil is allowing the turbo to cool down before shutting the engine off. Most oil damage is from not allowing enough cool down time after hard running, especially in non-intercooled turbos. Since the turbo impeller turns in the tens of thousands of RPM's it generates massive amounts of heat and if not given proper cool down time before shut down the oil that remains in the turbo can burn to an ash called coking. Since intercooled turbos run cooler they are less likely to have this happen, but it still can happen. Synthetic oils are far less likely to have this happen since they can withstand much greater temperatures without breaking down and coking. The only times you really need to give a minute or three cool down time before shutting the engine off is after having just gotten off the freeway or after having ran it hard like in racing. The optimal time to shut it off is after the coolant has cycled and the fan has kicked off, this is the point at which the engine is at it coolest and it will be noticeable by the drop in the temperature gauge before it starts to go up in temperature again. As long as some common sense is used a turbo will last for several hundred thousand miles.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 AM
wannasupra

nope. no turbos for a four cylinder. 5 or more only.[:'(]

Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 AM
wannasupra

jusr fn with you. go find a G54B from a conquest and drop it in your dakota. then find some sandbags to put in the bed for traction.

Quick Reply: can you put a turbo on a 4 cylinder?