PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
dakotasgramps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem

90 Dodge 2.5 TBI non turbo. Have had car to mechanic for severe rich fuel problem. Seems worse at cold temperatures but can be a problem at any time. Usually have to hold acc. petal to floor for a short time to clear excess gas. Have installed new plug wires that were obvously bad along with plugs and dist. cap. Mechanic installed new fuel pressure regulator with no difference. Also new EGR valve that would not hold a vacuum. Only stored code was excessive LEAN fuel mixture-totally opposite of the problem. Sometimes it runs great but never know when it is going to be troublesome. Fuel pump tests are normal. I should mention I have been using E-85 fuel which my mechanic says I should not have been using. Can anyone give me some idea on what to do next.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
HardMaple
Default RE: fuel problem

Actually a lean code would be very consistent with the problem. The PCM thinks the fuel is running lean, so it enriches it. Have you looked at the O2 sensor?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
dakotasgramps

Yes I have put 2 different 02 sensors in but has not helped. I'm now wondering about a vacuum problem but it doesn't seem to be a constant problem. Thanks for you help. JIM

Old 03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
e85 should ONLY be used in a car made for e85. the 85 means its 85%ethenol, if the car isnt made for 85% it WILL run lean. remember that alcahol has more btus per lb than gasoline,that means it has to run richer, about two times asmuch as gasoline. i know it sound backwardbut its right.

Quick Reply: fuel problem