Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Looking to buy my first ramcharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first ramcharger

Well as the title says i'm looking to buy a old ramcharger for a dd and offroad toy i own a 5.9 durango with 33s that just blew its inner transfer case guts out recently and i'm looking for something allot more rugged. What do you guys think of this http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4411228178.html and what is there to know about owning one of these beast. I've never owned anything that has gotten more that 13mpg ha so mileage doesn't matter to me. I had a w350 for half a year with a 440 and loved every minute of that beast it took one hell of a beating till it was stolen out of my friends driveway. Are these things reliable like most old dodges and is there anything I should be cautious about. I don't beat on my cars to bad but once a month i trail ride and tend to go wot in the mud and sometimes do minor rock crawling (How i blew the durangos awd tcase up) just let me know thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks decent. As far as rugged, it's an automatic, but I'm partial to manual trans myself. Rot and rust would be my next concern.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

If i'm not mistaken these have 727 torqeflights right? Isn't that a real strong trans that can take tons of abuse?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying a 727 isn't a strong trans. Adjusted and maintained properly an excellent trans. I've had several that were just fine. I've also had 2 that failed me or I failed them. To me there is too much that "could" go wrong in the auto.

Here's a pissin' contest thread that can relate the subject..................
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...arger-and-why/

Comes down to what you are comfortable with. I just like the control I have with the manual. Haven't had one fail me yet.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Comrade General
Captain

the 727 or a518 are both great transmissions. They dont typically have many problems until you starting putting more power through them then they were designed for. If you build them up to match then they are plenty fine.

nv4500 is the way to go though

Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year? The post is gone.
Nothing wrong with a 79 Ramcharger. I built a bush truck out of one and know many tricks for them old trucks.
Example: the 727 can benefit from relocating the vent. Plug the one behind the torque converter and drill a hole on top of he transmission. Thread that and install a fitting to attach a hose so you can snorkel it.
Also, the sun gear in the rear of the trans has three gears. It can be upgraded to six. Plus the sun gear cage can be bolted to the transmission with four holes you have to drill. Stronger than the small splines from factory. With big power and abuse you can break the stock cage loose which breaks the back of your transmission housing.
But only in sever power applications should you worry about that.
If its a 79 then it has a 203 t-case. Get rid of it. Its strong but yuck.
Install a main shaft from an 80 up while the transmission is apart for the other mods and swap to a 208 t-case. Then swap the front diff to an 80 up Dana 44 8 lug and the rear to a Dana 60 8 lug. 4:56 gears would be nice.
Then a 3" steering block while adding your 6" lift. Then 38" Swampers.
The front driveshaft flange also fits the rear. Get a second flange. Swap it into the rear of the transmission. Get new driveshafts made with a cv for both. Rear driveshaft is short and likes the cv same as front. Both are same cv's. Take a die grinder to the rear cv and remove the offending factory stops. Allows more flex out of the cv. Never hurt mine. Some will say bad. But whatever.
Set of headers and a cam and Edelbrock intake and I preferred a Q Jet carb.
Go have fun.
Toss in some lockers. My 60 was welded.
Yes, you'll need a steering stabilizer. Lol.
Beef the frame around the steering box. Lose the factory steering bell joint and get a Borgeson u joint. I swapped in a 1981 box and steering column. I wanted tilt.
Get a radiator from a big block truck. Its a nice big 3 core. Not the small anemic 2 core. Dual electric fans. Van transmission dipstick and tube. Allows the dipstick to be by the alternator and raises it up.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first ramcharger