1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 durango 5.9 shift linkage will not go into 2,1 or park on the column? Too long?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 12:40 AM
dirtydev393
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 durango 5.9 shift linkage will not go into 2,1 or park on the column? Too long?

So from what little i could find on the difference in shift cables for my truck, the 4.7 with the 45RFE and the 5.9 with the 46RE use the same shift linkage cable, so im wondering why mine does not work properly since i did the 4.7 to 5.9 swap.

To turn the ignition off, i have to pull the shift lever up to the park position to put the actual transmission into park, then unhook the eyelet on the steering column, and move the shift handle ALL the way up so i can actually take the key out where the park position SHOULD be. When i put the key in, and start the truck i pull it out of the "locked" park position to where reverse or neutral would be and connect the eyelet where the transmission is in park, and shift down more and the lowest i can get to is D. So i have P,R,N,D and cant use the rest because thats as far as the cable itself will allow it to go.

I have adjusted the cable under the steering column as far as it would go, and this style cable does not have an adjustment under the brake booster.

Can anyone else confirm the shift linkage cables are different or the same? The actual lever on the trans has a flat side where the shift lever will only go on one way. so i cant adjust the lever on the transmission any.