1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First timer d100 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Bozious
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer d100 help

Hi, first time registered but not my first time here. I figured it was about time to ask for help being that I've exhausted all efforts less calling a mechanic that will empty my bank account. I have a 1989 Dodge D100 that I've been slowly restoring and when I start it up it runs fine for a few seconds then the idle races up to 3 to 5 grand and the only way I can get it to go down to normal is to tap the plunger on the TPS and goes back down to about 800 to 1000 rpms. But as soon as I give it gas again it revs up to the same even when it's in gear, it has even pulled me into traffic at a light because of the high revs. I'm looking for suggestions from yall. If I might be missing a simple fix or something major I may not know about. My technical knowledge is in the middle somewhere between novice and intermediate.

Thanks for your help,
Boz

Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You have an idle control motor on the side of the throttle body. Sounds like it's time to replace it.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Bozious
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll give that a try too.