1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

now what. spitting n spudder

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 PM
demonkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation now what. spitting n spudder

ok so for some reason when i turned the key unplugged the pump plugged back in with key on the pump now works. idles fine until i put it in gear. when i go down the road and get on it it spits n spudders. want even do a burn out...... i got a distrib pick up to put on it tomorrow. what else could it be???

Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Low fuel pressure. Or for a TBI unit, high fuel pressure.

Plugged fuel filter.

Bad plugs.

Bad plug wires.

Bad rotor and cap.

Timing off due to distributor wear.

Timing off due to distributor not set right. (Note: Timing only really set on the TBI, LA based motors; but if the distributor is far enough off, it can throw the cam timing off in the ECU, causing problems.)

Plugged exhaust.

Bad gas.

Bad air filter.

This is only a partial list. Again, time to grab the factory service manual (hint: For these vehicles, a Chilton's or Haynes manual is better used for toilet paper ... ) or at the VERY least, sign up for AllDataDIY or Mitchell 1 DIY ( http://www.alldatadiy.com or http://www.eautorepair.net ) to get access to a competent manual to work from.

RwP

Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 PM
demonkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i started hearing a ticking like sound so i popped the hood. i upgraded my exhaust mans to stainless steel. well my accel plug wire feel down on to my exhaust man and burnt a lil spot in it and it was arcing off the man. so that was the whole problem. ever would of thought.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

See "bad plug wires" in my list *grins*

RwP