3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 5.7 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM
dodgedriver06ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.7 Misfire

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I've searched this forum and found some old threads related to misfire issues but haven't found any information specific to my issue. I am not that mechanically inclined and am looking for recommendations on how to move forward with my issue. Thank you in advance for any advice/feedback/etc.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi w/ 82K miles.

Truck was running rough and the check engine light came on. Ran a scan and got the 0301 1st cylnider misfire code. The misfiring was at its worst when the engine was cold. After running and driving for 5-10 minutes the misfire usually stops. Clicking the overdrive button on and off during the misfire also helps to smooth out the engine and stop the misfiring. Brought truck into my mechanic and he checked the sparked plugs and replaced the coil but the engine continued to misfire. He recommened bringing it to a dealer for a diagnosis.

Dealer ran diagnosis and this is the report printed on my receipt:
"Customer states check engine light is on and vehicle shakes. Verified concern, dscan for data found multiple dtc's focused on pcm dtc's p3202 ignition coil 1 secondary circuit, p0301 cylinder 1 misfire, p0300 multi cylinder misfire. Found spark plug had been replaced. Swapped ignition coils for cylinder one and two and verified dead misfire in cylinder one. Checked coil and verified spark from coil. Check and found fuel injector pulsing. Monitored misfire for awhile and did not stop. Advised additional tear down and diagnosis is needed."

I paid $140 for the diagnosis and they called to say they needed to start to charging more because of the extra work required to tear apart the engine to find what's causing the misfire. I decided to pick up my truck and am considering trading it in for something newer.

Could this be a simple/inexpensive fix or am I looking at a costly repair?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Depends on what you figure is inexpensive. Do a search here on broken valve spring. It is a possibility. If it were mine i would at least have a compression test done...at least on cylinder 1. And i would also have mechanic pull the valve cover off for cylinder 1 to check valve spring.
This should be relatively inexpensive and give you an idea of a repair cost.