1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

HELP!!! PLEASE!!97 Avenger hesitation when you press on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
rmcdon01@nyit.edu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! PLEASE!!97 Avenger hesitation when you press on the gas

I was wondering if anyone could help me please! I bought a 97 Dodge Avenger about 2 years ago it ran fine up until about a month ago. One day I came out and the car wouldnt start I pushed it to a mechanic and they told me it was the distributor, they put a brand new one in, along w/ a cap and rotor. THe car still was running rough so they said I needed a tune up. I took it to another place cuz they wanted way to much. The new place gave me a tune up, changed all spark plugs, wires, filters. Car ran a lot better but when you press on the accelerator it will hesitate/choke kinda like its gasping for fuel or air. OBDII codes came up for cylinder misfire on 3,4,and 6. We then changed those injectors and the codes disappered but the problem was still there. The OBDII codes then read P0123 TPS Pedal Position Sensor A high input, P0120 TPS Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction, P0108 MAP Sensor too high, and P206 cylinder #6 open circuit. We changed the MAP sensor still had the problem. Changed the TPS still hadthe problem. We even changed the Idle air control valve still had the same problem. Checked all wiring, checked for leaks in hoses couldnt find anything. Weve spent about 16 hours in 4 days with this car apart and still cant figure out the problem. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: HELP!!! PLEASE!!97 Avenger hesitation when you press on the gas

Next to try is the crank angle sensor and ASD and fuel relays. I think the original problems were the TPS and crank angle sensor and the ASD and fuel relays can be changed just because they are probably old and cheap.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I Hate Problems

What Excatly Is A TPS And AN ASD...Im Having The Same Problem With The Whole Piston Misfire And Might It Be The Catalytic Converter That Is Causing The Car To Hesitate To Start....I Have Changed The Crankshaft Sensor And The Camshaft Sensor Already And Still Am Wondering What Excatly The Problem Is....Thanx

Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor ... It's on the Throttle body ...
Search for the relays there is a picture with explanations here :
https://dodgeforum.com/m_554757/tm.htm

Quick Reply: HELP!!! PLEASE!!97 Avenger hesitation when you press on the gas