1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
akaaceman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

My car just seems to be full of problems. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I won't find out until I ask.
Some days, if I haven't been driving for most of the day or longer, when I try to start the car the engine obviously starts because my exhaust gives off the tone that usually signifies my car starting. The problem is that a few seconds later, maybe less, the engine dies. It will rev up to about 1500 after I crank it, but it's like something is keeping it from turning over. If I put my foot on the gas right after starting it though, it will stay on as long as my foot is on the gas. If I leave my foot there for anywhere from a minute to about five, it will idle fine and won't have any problems other than what I'm used to. I have talked to my dad about it and he thinks it may be the fuel pump/filter. Is this plausable?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Spotswood69
Default RE: Starting Problems

Whats going on? I just recently had a similar problem. Car would start, but as soon as it started to get hot, it would just die and not start. It would crank but not turn you know. Well after paying $279 for a new fuel pump, drove around the block and it died. Went right back to the shop and said im taking it in the buns right now, fix the car. lol dont really know if i can say that on here hahah. ANYWAYS...turns out that it was a sensor that was shutting the car down as soon as it got hot. Forget the exact sensor and its name but i cant find out for you. Hope this helps

Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 AM
akaaceman

About how long until the engine stopped? Was it right after you started it or when it started to actually heat up after a few minutes?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Spots, did you happen to change out the crank angle sensor? That's what commonly goes bad on the V6s after it's been running awhile (heat and the crank sensor don't agree with each other).
That may be your issue too Akaaceman.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:38 PM
m_laney06

Replace the Crank Positioning Sensor.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post