1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

bad venge plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
96avenger42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad venge plz help

hey is it true that only a 1996 dodge or sebring auto tranny will work on a 1996 model

Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 PM
95avenger
Default RE: bad venge plz help

i am also looking for a new tranny!..imNOT 100% sure, but i kno that the 95-96 avengers and sebrings are the"same" cars but the bumper, tail lights and rear bumper, and (doors have these molding lines running parallel to the doors for style), Also i think that as long as it is a chrysler tranny for a 2.5L / 2.0L and has overdrive it'll fit. ( ex. avenger, sebring, and stratus) IDK about 97 and up tho. Mitsubishi makes tranny's for ouravengers too,.. um my guess is as long as it is for same engine size and non-turbo/NA

once again, not 100% sure, but i am looking into a new trans[:@] so i am looking into it too!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 AM
96avenger42

oh ok well i really do appriciate it. like i said someone told me that only a 1996 would work in it but i was thinking the same thing as you was that as long as it was the same engine size that it would work but also like you said im not 100% sure either. but i guess we will see lol.. and thanks again for the info you guys are the best.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from another member on a different site , very knowledgeable on the veng chassis ...

as many of you already know we are dealing with 3 versions of the same basic tranny with our cars
1995 was the first year of the avenger/sebring and also the last year that chrysler used the first version of the A604
that version had 2 separate switchs on the side of the tranny
one was called the park/neutral position the other was called transmission range

1996 was the introduction of the version 2 of the a604 with a new TCM and a new switch module on top of the tranny
that module replaced the 2 previous switchs plus the backup light relay and added the introduction of a thermal sensor
that version of the tranny was in production up to 1998

1999 was the introduction of another connector but the pinout was the same as the 96-98 the shape was different, square with larger flat pins instead of slim with round pins like 96-98

it's possible to swap a 96 + transmission within a 95 car
I'm currently running with success a 2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo a604 with my swapped i4 2.4 engine, my 1995 tcm is controlling the tranny
however Sandman also tried it with his 1995 v6 and had numerous problems

here's how I did my rewiring

there are 2 connectors
1 is white 1 is black
I don't have my old tranny near me so I don't remember which one is which
the way those switchs work inside is like 2 separate switch controlled at the same time there are 3 wires per switch when the switch is active the signal from wire 1 is send to wire 3 while the signal on wire 2 is going to ground

on the white conector wire 1 and 3 are used to drive the signal to activate the backup light relay we don't need the relay anymore you will leave those 2 wire unconnected !

on the black connector now no single position of the new 10 pin connector has the same logic table has the old switch I found out that we could just connect wire 1 and wire 3 together and the TCM will be happy like this , when it will get a signal from the starting key to look if the car is in park/neutral position it will work

wire 2 of the white connector goes to T3 sense which is pin 8
wire 2 of the black connector goes to T41 sense which is pin 10

on the backup light relay , which is the fourth relay on the firewall, most one on the right, you will have 3 red wires
2 are tied to the same pins those wires are the one sending the 12v to the backup light 1 is alone that wire is the incoming 12V
you will need to cut those 3 wires and extend them to the 10 pin connector
you could use a single wire connected to the 2 backup light wires there's no need to pulled 3 wires there

it's not showing on my picture of the connector but pin 1 and 6 are for the backup light when the tranny is in reverse that connection is closed
you will connect the 2 wires from the relay to those 2 pins
by doing so you are eliminating the need of the backup relay and you car will have backup light working like a 96-+

that's about it
I drove 3000 miles so far wired like this not a single problem yet

Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
96avenger42

ok thanks for the info you guys rock

Quick Reply: bad venge plz help