DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1995-2000 Dodge Avenger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1995-2000-dodge-avenger-84/)
-   -   Ball joint recall info (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1995-2000-dodge-avenger/130939-ball-joint-recall-info.html)

bad venge 10-29-2007 09:01 PM

Ball joint recall info

Chrysler has put out a recall on all 95-00 Sebrings (coupes only) and Avengers for their ball joints and lower control arms.

If you haven't done so, GET THIS CHECKED OUT. In extreme cases, people have lost steering in their car or even lost a wheel while driving.

Facts:

1) The ball joint recall covers ALL YEARS of avengers and sebrings (coupe sebring, not convertible.)

2) The recall covers the ball joints and front lower control arms.

3) The recall covers the parts FOR THE LIFE OF THE CAR. Don't let the dealer pull the whole "the recall was already performed" crap. If the dealer tries this, call the Chrysler recall center (info below).

4) Some dealers will service the recall by 'repacking' the ball joints. Push them to replace the joint, as this 'repacking' WILL eventually fail.

5) If you need to, call the Chysler recall center (like I had to). Have your VIN number ready. They were very helpful & assured me that the recall was for the life of the vehicle (which the dealer told me was BS). They can also get on the dealer's ass if they refuse to do the work (which they did for me).

Here's contact info for the Recall center:

Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00AM - 8:00PM (EST)

Contact Us by Mail:
DaimlerChrysler
P.O. Box 610207
Port Huron, MI 48061-0207

LOWER CONTROL ARMS ARE NOT THE SAME AS LOWER LATERAL ARMS......

LOWER CONTROL ARMS (they are curved arms) are NOT covered by the recall....

LOWER LATERAL ARMS AND ITS BALL JOINT (straight arm) IS covered by the recall.

noregrets 11-29-2007 12:31 PM

RE: Ball joint recall info

Thanks a ton for this info. It's scarey since I ride my precious cargo, my babies, in my cars. I'll be sure to call me dealer pronto and see what's up.

Ang :)

shazam779 02-15-2008 05:32 PM

Just want to officially state that Chrysler is creating some REALLY bad karma here with this ball joint failure thing. They are flat out refusing to cover ANYthing other than the 2 lower control arms in this recall. Even though the failure of these parts caused my car to crash (both ball joints broke and drive axle snapped while the car was going about 40 mph!) resulting in a multitude of damage to my car they will not do ANYTHING about it. I will have to hire lawyer now.
Has ANYONE OUT THERE had this kind of experience with the recall?

bad venge 02-15-2008 07:04 PM

I've heard of SEVERAL others that this has happened to ...
Unfortunately you have to prove that the parts covered failed and that caused the crash

hellcat420 03-02-2008 04:02 PM

My ball joints are rubbing and make a terrible noise when i turn. I bought this off of a private seller, how could i get this replacement?

bad venge 03-04-2008 12:19 PM

Just take it into the dealer/ ANY Dodge/Chrysler dealer can do the recall ...
IF they tell you it's been done before it is STILL COVERED .... Call the 800# and complain They WILL REDO IT

MrMopar472 05-14-2008 10:47 PM

DAM IT. I should have check this out sooner. the lower ball joint on the driver side control arm pried its self out of the control arm and snapped the half shaft. And I dished out $350 for new half shafts and both lower control arms.... you think they will refund me.... lol

noregrets 05-21-2008 05:09 PM

MrMopar, I called them yesterday and there was a message on their recording about reimbursements. I have an appointment to get the ball joints replaced on my son's car tomorrow.

Ang :)

bcrunk 05-28-2008 12:05 AM

ok so i just got my 95 venge may 12th this year and I'm not sure if they fixed the recall thing yet should I just try to get it fixed anyways or what?

timmer84 06-01-2008 08:58 PM

hello, i have recently taken my avenger to be serviced and told me i needed new wheel bearings (replaced them today) and ball joints and yesterday i read this thread and i was wondering if my car is still covered on the recall, i entered my VIN on dodge's website and it said that my car didnt have any unperformed recalls. then earlier i read on here that even if it's been performed then it IS STILL covered. pretty much just wondering if this info is correct and if i should just take it to the dealer to fix it tomorrow and get it all taken care of, lol.

bad venge 06-01-2008 09:32 PM

There is a blanket recall on these ... Some owners have had them replaced on the recall three even four times ... I'm on my second set , and the third time it was in for the recall (the first time they just "inspected" them they failed 3 months later)

timmer84 06-01-2008 09:42 PM

thanks, i wish i had this info in dec. when my pass. side ball joint went out when i was driving in town, coulda saved myself $271 at the local shop lol

bad venge 06-01-2008 10:10 PM

They WILL refund the $$$ If you call the 800# they have a refund deal too

technetrium 09-06-2008 02:10 AM

called dodge 1800 number said they cant/wont replace the lower ball joint because the recall was already preformed.. what should i say/do to get them to help? the 1800 number also gave me a canada # which is who told me they would not do it

bad venge 09-06-2008 09:57 AM

Where are you located ??? Canada people have had troubles getting them replaced more then once ... I have no idea why ... Stateside seems to replace them time and time again , Do not know if there is a federal law that makes it a "lifetime" recall or what

technetrium 09-08-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 1400102)
Where are you located ??? Canada people have had troubles getting them replaced more then once ... I have no idea why ... Stateside seems to replace them time and time again , Do not know if there is a federal law that makes it a "lifetime" recall or what

Called dodge dealership ( local) today and they were very helpful told them about the recall being an " inspection" of the ball joint and they also had no record of it being replaced so i will have a call back in the next few days once they find /get the parts and set up to get it fixed

Mavman 10-08-2009 09:02 PM

Called hotline. Said since the recall was performed in 2002 and it has been more than the 3 year 30k mile warentee they will not replace them since mine are gone enough that they can't do an alignment. So now I ask a question. How the hell do I get that darn balljoint screw out of its little hole. I already got a little too carried away and pulled the driveshaft from the tranny while ripping the boot in the process. Anyone have any idea of how to get this one screw outta the hole since that's the only one I'm stuck on. Muchly appreciated if any info is on here by 2pm tomarrow because that is when I am going to start working on it again.

apristel 12-03-2009 03:18 PM

My 96 Avenger goes in tomorrow to have the recall work done. Although I went to dodge.com and checked the recall for my vin and it said there isn't one? That normal?

I really appreciate all the useful info you guys have posted.

bad venge 12-03-2009 07:42 PM

It's a blanket recall , I'm not sure why it wouldn't show on your Vin

apristel 12-03-2009 07:47 PM

Well I'll find out tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for your help BadVenge.

apristel 12-04-2009 07:53 PM

Turns out my Avenger was in for the recall in 2001. I asked for them to replace the parts anyways and they replaced only the driver side lateral arm / ball joint. Mechanic said that it had wear and the passenger one was ok. I took it for a ride and it still has a little clunk when going over bumps. Maybe its not the ball joints, possibly the struts. Not really a big deal, just like to have things perfect. I guess its 13 years old...

Wish they would have done both, seems like a good idea to just do both right away. Not like they are really expensive parts. Labor would be more than the parts I assume.

Anyways, still a deal and thanks for the heads up on the recall.

HeartlessD 12-17-2010 03:18 PM

I called both the Chysler recall center and the local dodge dealer. There both telling me that the recall has been performed twice around 2002. When I asked if this recall could still be performed seeing I just purchased it, they told me they didn't see any where on the recall where it states its for the life of the car. Don't know where to go from here about this. Any other suggestions. I know the recall number was 976 if I remember correctly.

bad venge 12-17-2010 07:19 PM

READ the very first POST !!!!!

jesse309 12-20-2010 10:44 PM

so if the ball joint fails are they going to cover any of the repairs other then the arms and joints?

bad venge 12-21-2010 04:40 PM

YES I have seen them cover damaged fenders ect

HeartlessD 01-10-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 2353479)
READ the very first POST !!!!!

I did, but here telling me that the recall is not for the life of the car. I spoke to several diff people about this. Once the recall has been performed, thats it. For those who have been getting it done more then once, I have no idea how. But there saying they cant do anything about it cause it has already been performed twice and there isnt anything else they can do.

22DODGE22 01-10-2011 06:30 PM

The recall is to replace a defective balljoint. I suppose they assume once the new and "improved" balljoints are installed, Chrysler has satisfied the recall. I could see where they addressed the problem, provided correction and that would appease the NTSB.

crisco4027 03-03-2011 10:17 AM

Just went in to get my ball joints inspected ('99 Avenger) and now they tell me they won't do it not because the ball joint isn't covered (it is) but because the knuckle may need to be replaced. The only thing I can think of is the steering knuckle. What does that have to do with my ball joint. (passenger side) I don't have the money for a $350 dollar part let alone the labor (3-6 hundred) because it is "very rusted" I've never been to a dealer to get my car fixed (I don't trust them) and I feel like I maybe getting snowed. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated! I just wanna know if this sounds like an honest dealing. Thanks.

bad venge 03-03-2011 04:57 PM

what EXACTLY are they calling the knuckle ?

Blue_Avenger 11-16-2011 03:41 PM

Dealer Will Not Replace Recalled Parts!

I dropped my car at the dealer this morning to have the recalled lower lateral arm ball joints replaced. I got a phone call saying they could not replace them without having the worn bushings on the lower CONTROL arms replaced. And because you can not replace the bushing without replacing the entire control arm, the cost would be $1200! Any advice would be so appreciated.

bad venge 11-16-2011 09:08 PM

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hand...-question.html

you can order thes kits for $116/$180 for the kit

riggsb1 12-23-2011 11:24 PM

I have a 95 Avenger. I just got it on November 19th. I know those parts have to be replaced but with it being so long after the recall will they still replace them? I'm pretty sure that is what's causing the popping noise when I hit a bump. I looked on the Dodge website and entered my VIN and it says there are no recalls for my car. Any help would be great.

bad venge 12-24-2011 09:49 AM

Have you READ the thread .... It gives the 800# CALL them and check , Some will call and get them covered others will not. seems the more you complain the more you might get them covered. I've had two sets replaced no trouble. Canada appears to do it once and thats it.I think the most I heard of was 6 sets replaced

Remember you are calling about a 16 year old car with likely 100k miles+ the chances that they will not cover are pretty good

There is one arm recalled the other is NOT I also listed the part for the complete kit to rebuild the entire front incase they are not covered

riggsb1 12-24-2011 06:04 PM

OK, thanks. Also, I have a oil leak, it's the front seal. How do I change it?

eishiba 10-14-2014 09:49 PM

Would this be why my 98, every time I hit a bump, I can hear a rattle. I know this isn't what it ACTUALLY wrong but it sounds like a washer rattling loosely very loudly. Its kind of a high sound. It just sounds like everything is clunking around. Im not sure if its the front or rear. I just bought the car.

hoangkhanh 03-09-2018 11:39 PM

Thank you for the information you shared. It is very helpful to me