1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Ball joint recall info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball joint recall info

Chrysler has put out a recall on all 95-00 Sebrings (coupes only) and Avengers for their ball joints and lower control arms.

If you haven't done so, GET THIS CHECKED OUT. In extreme cases, people have lost steering in their car or even lost a wheel while driving.

Facts:

1) The ball joint recall covers ALL YEARS of avengers and sebrings (coupe sebring, not convertible.)

2) The recall covers the ball joints and front lower control arms.

3) The recall covers the parts FOR THE LIFE OF THE CAR. Don't let the dealer pull the whole "the recall was already performed" crap. If the dealer tries this, call the Chrysler recall center (info below).

4) Some dealers will service the recall by 'repacking' the ball joints. Push them to replace the joint, as this 'repacking' WILL eventually fail.

5) If you need to, call the Chysler recall center (like I had to). Have your VIN number ready. They were very helpful & assured me that the recall was for the life of the vehicle (which the dealer told me was BS). They can also get on the dealer's *** if they refuse to do the work (which they did for me).

Here's contact info for the Recall center:

Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00AM - 8:00PM (EST)

Contact Us by Mail:
DaimlerChrysler
P.O. Box 610207
Port Huron, MI 48061-0207

LOWER CONTROL ARMS ARE NOT THE SAME AS LOWER LATERAL ARMS......

LOWER CONTROL ARMS (they are curved arms) are NOT covered by the recall....

LOWER LATERAL ARMS AND ITS BALL JOINT (straight arm) IS covered by the recall.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
noregrets
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ball joint recall info

Thanks a ton for this info. It's scarey since I ride my precious cargo, my babies, in my cars. I'll be sure to call me dealer pronto and see what's up.

Ang

Old 02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
shazam779

Just want to officially state that Chrysler is creating some REALLY bad karma here with this ball joint failure thing. They are flat out refusing to cover ANYthing other than the 2 lower control arms in this recall. Even though the failure of these parts caused my car to crash (both ball joints broke and drive axle snapped while the car was going about 40 mph!) resulting in a multitude of damage to my car they will not do ANYTHING about it. I will have to hire lawyer now.
Has ANYONE OUT THERE had this kind of experience with the recall?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I've heard of SEVERAL others that this has happened to ...
Unfortunately you have to prove that the parts covered failed and that caused the crash

Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
hellcat420

My ball joints are rubbing and make a terrible noise when i turn. I bought this off of a private seller, how could i get this replacement?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just take it into the dealer/ ANY Dodge/Chrysler dealer can do the recall ...
IF they tell you it's been done before it is STILL COVERED .... Call the 800# and complain They WILL REDO IT

Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
MrMopar472

DAM IT. I should have check this out sooner. the lower ball joint on the driver side control arm pried its self out of the control arm and snapped the half shaft. And I dished out $350 for new half shafts and both lower control arms.... you think they will refund me.... lol

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
noregrets
Rookie

MrMopar, I called them yesterday and there was a message on their recording about reimbursements. I have an appointment to get the ball joints replaced on my son's car tomorrow.

Ang

Old 05-28-2008, 12:05 AM
bcrunk

ok so i just got my 95 venge may 12th this year and I'm not sure if they fixed the recall thing yet should I just try to get it fixed anyways or what?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
timmer84

hello, i have recently taken my avenger to be serviced and told me i needed new wheel bearings (replaced them today) and ball joints and yesterday i read this thread and i was wondering if my car is still covered on the recall, i entered my VIN on dodge's website and it said that my car didnt have any unperformed recalls. then earlier i read on here that even if it's been performed then it IS STILL covered. pretty much just wondering if this info is correct and if i should just take it to the dealer to fix it tomorrow and get it all taken care of, lol.

Quick Reply: Ball joint recall info