1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
zaneinsane
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing

I bought my venge last year....i noticed my car shakes when i press the brakes, like my rotors are bad.So i went and bought new pads and rotors.When i bought my car the guy i got it from said the drivers side wheel bearing was bad.My question is can i change my pads and rotors without any problems?
Meaning when i take my brakes off is anything going to fall apart on me when i take them off and replace them?
Im hoping its just the brakes that are making the noise and giving me the shudder when braking.How will i know if the wheel bearing is bad?Last but not least is this an easy fix?Something i can do on my own?Never attempted to change a wheel bearing.....a buddy of mine said its pretty simple but i need a press?
Any literature out there about changing the wheel bearing?Thanks in advance guys....I did a search for wheel bearing in the avenger section and came up with nada....

Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wheel bering

It's a pretty simple change , we have hub assemblies with the bearing already in place /no press needed/ ... it's an unbolt rebolt deal best to do it before changing the brakes(you have to tear all that off anyway to change the hub) bearings go either noisey grumble will driving or loose cause the wheel to wobble ...

Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
zaneinsane
Rookie

Sounds easy enough.....how do i know if its bad?Im pretty sure my brake rotors are warped, thats why the car shudders so bad when i brake.They look like the have enough meat to be re-surfaced, brake
pads need to be changed.....would the wheel bearing assuming its bad warp my rotors?
Im just going on what i was told from the guy that owned the venge before me said about the wheel bearing.Id just hate to buy one and put it in if i dont have to.Any way to see if its still good or not?Pull it out and look it over?Thanks for the help bad venge.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:52 AM
gumpster

Is the wheel in question in the front or back?

If your rotor is warped, you would probably feel the brake pedal pulsing when applying the brakes. If it is warped enough to feel it in the pedal, you will probably have to replace it,asopposed tohaving it resurfaced. Warped front rotors are more noticable at the pedal then a warped rear rotor.

You will not be able to tell if the wheel bearing is bad by looking it over.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Jack up the car and pull on the wheel... if there is play/movement the bearing is likely bad ... Is there any unusual grinding noise from there while driving ??? If you remove the hub you'll feel the bearing has bad spots /wiggles/wobbles/...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 PM
zaneinsane
Rookie

Alright, ill try that bad venge.No grinding noise at all when im driving.Nice ride....until you come to a stop sign.Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No problem ...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
JLA74
Rookie

If you end up replacing the hub, make sure you start early in the morning. It can go really good and it can be a total nightmare. My passenger side went pretty good after loosening up the drive shaft enough so I could get to the four bolts on the hub. I only had to replace the hub assembly on that side. The driver side on the other hand. Axel ended up being siezed in the hub. I needed a torch to get that one cut out. One bolt on the control arm was rusted and broke, which I needed to remove in order to remove the axel. All in all on the drivers side was an axel, lower control arm/ball joint, new metric bolt, oh and the hub assembly. Don't forget to anti-seize the s--t out of everything when you put it back together, just in case.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 AM
zaneinsane
Rookie

Been real busy lately havent gotten to the venge yet, started driving the winter beater.Hopefully tomorrow i can jack it up and have a look at it.I just finally saved up some cash to get the bearing if need be.I have one more question bad venge.I thought if you jacked up a car and looked for play on the tire that was to see if your ball joints were bad?Could be wrong, cant remember lol.Ill post my findings tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

This will allow the wheel to shift if it shifts look under to be sure the suspension/ joints aren't shifting ...

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing