1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

99 Avenger -- Minor problems/questions, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
1bloke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Avenger -- Minor problems/questions, please help!

I have a few minor problems in the 99 Avenger ES that I just bought. Any help would be appreciated!
[ul][*]Power door locks and power mirrors don't work. Could be blown fuses, perhaps? Where is the fuse box?[*]Glove box has a drilled out keyhole...won't open. Is there anything I can do? I don't care about locking it, just opening and closing it.[/ul]
I don't have an owner's manual....does anyone know where I can get one in .PDF format, perhaps? Since I have no manual, I also have these questions:
[ul][*]Where is the steering wheel tilt switch?[*]How do I set the garage door opener in my visor to use the right signal?
[/ul]Thanks!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
sprman9
Rookie
Default RE: 99 Avenger -- Minor problems/questions, please help!

well... cant help with all of it, but some of it i can. owners manuals can sometimes be found on ebay. ive seen them on there every once and a while. the tilt is hidden down on the bottom of the steering wheel. run your hand underneath and you should find it. i didnt know i had one until i was looking at something under there and saw that. ive never been able to get my garage door thing to work. tried to follow the directions, never worked though. i think theres a how to in the stickies at the top of the avenger main page. there are 2 fuse boxes. one by the pedals under the dash and the other is in the engine bay. hopefully that helps some. the more knowlegable guys can help much more than me.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
1bloke

I found the fuse boxes and the steering wheel tilt...thanks!

Also, I found this very useful post somewhere that helped me get the garage door opener working very easily:

[blockquote]Here is how they usually work.

1. Hold buttons one and three in until the light blinks fast, usually over 30 seconds. This clears the programming
2. Hold button one in and press your garage door remote at the same time until the light blinks fast
3. Find the red program button on the garage door opener main unit and press it in (you have around 30 seconds to do this)
4. Hold button one in until it blinks fast

You should be good to go.

It's easier than it sounds once you've done it a few times.

[/blockquote]If there's anyone that can help me with the remaining problems, please do so. Here are more details:

[ul][*]I checked the fuses for the power door locks and the mirrors, but they look okay. When I put the door locks fuse back in, the doors lock. But that's about it. The lock/unlock button makes a noise as if it might be trying to work, but nothing happens.[*]I did see the passenger side mirror move slightly in one direction while I was playing with the switch.[*]With the glovebox, I tried drilling some more and have gotten past the threads that the key should turn. I'm not sure what else to do. I can keep drilling further until it gets all the way through, but then what?[/ul]

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1bloke
If there's anyone that can help me with the remaining problems, please do so. Here are more details:
[ul][*]I checked the fuses for the power door locks and the mirrors, but they look okay. When I put the door locks fuse back in, the doors lock. But that's about it. The lock/unlock button makes a noise as if it might be trying to work, but nothing happens.[*]I did see the passenger side mirror move slightly in one direction while I was playing with the switch.[*]With the glovebox, I tried drilling some more and have gotten past the threads that the key should turn. I'm not sure what else to do. I can keep drilling further until it gets all the way through, but then what?
[/ul]
Unsure if the previous owner had an aftetmarket alarm/remote installed and removed it ... or there might be an actuator trouble ...

the mirror switch gets corroded from lack of use I took mine apart cleaned the contacts and reassembled

glovebox drill thru and go get a new latch at the junkyard ...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
robertwyoung
Rookie

Doors locking probably means the little sensors on the back of the lock cylinders are broken.

Number 13 below. It's how you can unlock the passenger side door from the driver's side. Both sides have one but I have never tried messing with the passenger door.

Quick Reply: 99 Avenger -- Minor problems/questions, please help!