1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

engine knock in passanger fender

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 AM
ctjohns34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine knock in passanger fender

I am sorry for asking this but the thread i was reading it on wasn't very well responded to. I have a 95 with a 2.5 that I just picked up. When I rolled it off the trailer and was cleaning it up I had it running. I came around to the passanger fender and heard a slight knocking. I could even feel it in the fender. I was told it was loosing water. Cold this be the water pump or is it deeper like a rod or main bearing. Just needing some advice on where to start looking. I have plans to put a timing belt in so I will look at the pump whenI start. Any ideas?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine knock in passanger fender

The fender is likely the EGR carbon canister clunking ....
loosing water could be a leaking water pump , but should leave a coresponding puddle under the car ...
Also could be a blown head gasket , cracked head , or leaking water jacket plug ...
Anytime you replace the timing belt replace the water pump ...

Old 11-11-2007, 04:21 PM
ctjohns34

Just tore it down and found the weep hole with the tell tale white residue but the noise I was hearing sounded possibly from the lower end. I am going to replace the waterpump and timing belt and see where I am. Hope it goes away with the pump.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned the noise is likely the egr carbon canister and the solenoid that controls it ...

Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 PM
johnnybegood_5

I have the same noise on my car, my water pump leaks randomly putting a puddle under the car one day then nothing for the next 3 days. I am replacing the water pump and the timing belt sometime this week. I'll let you know if it solves the problemif u havn't already.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
73AMX401

Could Be wrong but my venge did that also and it was the crank pulley hitting the timing belt cover. No biggy for me considering it only did it when the motor warmed up and the plastic cover expanded.

Quick Reply: engine knock in passanger fender