1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

studdering/check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
mcdickles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default studdering/check engine light?

When my foot is on the gas....its warmed up....and I hit a bump the car jumps almost like my transmission is slipping. if my foot is off the gas it will not jump.The RPMs dont really jump either. the computer in my car is not responsive. Any shop Ive taken it to cant find out whats wrong with it. I have no idea!!! today after driving the car for about 45 min my check engine light came on. I pulled over and turned the car off for 5 min. Then started it back up and drove for another 20min home. No light came on. Help please

Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
mcdickles
Default RE: studdering/check engine light?

Also, i got it checked out by mr.transmission they said the tranny is good.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it scanned for the coses since it had a cel it stores it .... That might give us a better idea on the trouble ...
At this point I'd guess the TPS but not sure

Old 11-26-2007, 02:55 PM
mcdickles

WHat is a TPS? The computer wont show any codes...its broken/unresponsive

Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

TPS=Throttle Positioning Sensor ...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
mcdickles

tonight....I when I started my car. it would not idle if I took my foot off the gas then it would stall. So I ended up driving home with 1 foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake. could it still be the TPS? anyother ideas? Its at the shop now to be worked on tomorrow but with the computer not working they are pretty much trying to fix it with thier eyes closed.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I've never heard of a computer not working and the car still running ...I'm guessing that the OBD2 port is not functional so they can't do a scan ... What year is it ??? some can do a key dance and the cel light will flash the code ....

When an fault with your car is detected it stores the fault in it's internal EEPROM. Normally, you have to take your car to a dealer to have the problem diagnosed. Thanks to Chrysler's and Mitsubishi's ingenuity, the codes can be displayed with a few simple turns of the ignition key. Although the codes listed will help you diagnose a problem with your car, they do not allow for complete diagnosis and/or also may not even be the actual problem. For complete diagnosis you will require a scan tool and a service manual. I can't stress enough the help that the service manual provides for problem diagnosis. Everyone should own a service manual if they are planning to do any work on their car.
To check the PCM codes, insert the key into the ignition and switch the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within a 5 sec. time period. Then count the Engine light flashes. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate indivdual trouble codes. All codes will end with 55 which signifies End of Codes / No detected failure.

Quick Reply: studdering/check engine light?