1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Cylinder head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
eurocobra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head gasket replacement

My car is a 1996 2.0 I4 5 speed manual avenger.

I have been reading how-to and do it yourself threads and viewing pics in the forums for the last few daysabout the work involved with the cylinder head gasket replacement as well as other fixes forproblems. I am not sure if my gasketneeds replacing but I have the updated gasket. Not sure of whats on the car. The car received a new dealer installed shortblock about 50,000 miles ago (back in 2003). Its now at 185,000 miles.

A few weeks ago I took the car to a dealer to find the problem for smoking and high oil consumption and theyperformed a compression test and the compression was fine (so I suppose the rings are fine). They would not do anything to the car. They told me that the intake was damaged internally and that part cost more than the value of the car - this is the reason for the smoke and high oil consumption. Stealerships are full of chit.

I have owned the car for two years and about a year ago it just started smoking and consequently it consumes a lot of oil. I still cannot accurately tell what the culprit is.

There are no trouble codes, no loss of coolant,no overheating even at top speed on the autobahn,no milky oil, and no oil in the coolant. The intake is horribly coated with oil. This may be normal from the EGR but I seriously doubt that the intake is damaged.

So far I have changed a coolant temperature sensor when I changed the thermostat, replaced both oxygen sensors, I just cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve and not sure what to do next.

Any ideas and help appreciated. Sorry for the long post. My options are limited - fix this car myself, junk it, or buy a new motor (cuts intomy 2003cobra mod money).

MANY THANKS

Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cylinder head gasket replacement

LMFAO!!! A new intake costing more than a car. At most for and I4 they should charge $600 for parts and labor (New intake and Gasket). Hmm as far as the oil consumption and smoke, Only idea I have left is that there is a hole in your block[:@], or heads. Either near the intake or exhaust ports. If it was the valve cover gasket you woul notice the oil leaking. Im really stumped but ill ask around at work and see wuts up.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
73dart
Professional

Have the valve seals checked. I had a 82 Izuzu LUV truck with the same problem. It will not show up on a compression check because when the vavle is open and the piston is drawing air in it will suck oil from the head. My truck was burning 1 quart of oil every 150 miles. They can be changed without removing the head but the cams have to be removed to gain acess. The seals are held in by the springs so the springs have to be removed also. I don't know what the labor will be but the new seals are around $50 dollars in the us.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
eurocobra

Well I assume that the block and rings are fine from the compression check results. I will also look closer at the oil pressure sending unit. There was a little oil on the block near this unit. I will look into replacing the PCV valve asap.

The dollar is weak now. $150.00 = Euro 100 - that hurts!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
eurocobra

ORIGINAL: 73dart

Have the valve seals checked. I had a 82 Izuzu LUV truck with the same problem. It will not show up on a compression check because when the vavle is open and the piston is drawing air in it will suck oil from the head. My truck was burning 1 quart of oil every 150 miles. They can be changed without removing the head but the cams have to be removed to gain acess. The seals are held in by the springs so the springs have to be removed also. I don't know what the labor will be but the new seals are around $50 dollars in the us.
Bad valve seals also makes since. I forgot to mention earlier that the cam/valve cover gasket was replaced. I have a timing belt kit on hand. I need to add a quart every 500-600 miles but that burning oil-smoking at stoplights is annoying. I will look into a 420A engine rebuild kit to make sure that I have all of the odds and ends on hand. To replace the valve seals I am sure that the cams have to be removed so maybe I should look into replacing the timing belt as well. Even with this oil consumption problem this motor still gets excellent fuel economy.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
73dart
Professional

I bought a head kit that comes with all the gasketts on the head for $140. It came with the valve seals. I bought all of my rebuild parts from the local parts store for about $375. The machine shop work on the head cost $258, and the Bearing and seal kit for the tranny was $175. Labor only cost me greif from the wife for spending too much time in my fathers shop. All in all not too bad for a full rebuild.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

73dart is right.

Quick Reply: Cylinder head gasket replacement