1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

High idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 AM
eurocobra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle

1996 Avenger 2.0 5 speed - I recently had a problem with poor idle and stalling and smoking. To fix the previous problem I replaced the PCV and cleaned the throttle body including the IAC. Reassembled everything and the idle was holding at around 2000 RPM.

I found a neon at the wrecking yard with the 420A DOHC motor and purchased the throttle body. I installed that part on my car. I did not connect the throttle cable. Still have the same problem. The neon ran fine it suffered body damage and cracked windshield. The TPS and IAC are the same on the two throttle bodies.

I have also been reading where a few others with the same problem just replaced the IAC with a new one and it didnt help. I am trying to avoid doing this step.

I will check/clean the EGR and look for obvious vacuum leaks. Any other ideas??

Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
eurocobra
Default RE: High idle

Problem resolved - I replaced a defective hose connected to the throttle body. This may have been the culprit. I also removed the throttle body and gasket.I re-installed everything and double checked the connections.

If only I could get some Seafoam over here to clean the intake path and get the rest of the system cleaned internally.

Ray[/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say check the hose to the IAC as it gets brittle and cracks ....
i can't believe they don't have seafoam or something similar in europe ... My Land Rover forum has tons of germany/ect and they all use seafoam ...

Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
eurocobra

ORIGINAL: bad venge

I was going to say check the hose to the IAC as it gets brittle and cracks ....
i can't believe they don't have seafoam or something similar in europe ... My Land Rover forum has tons of germany/ect and they all use seafoam ...
I will check a few more places. I really didn't look very hard. I will also ask around.

Thanks

Quick Reply: High idle