1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 PM
CGAVENGER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE

Hello,
I have read a lot of good and bad comments about thecar, it falling apart so on and so forth. But this car has potential as i see from other owners.

Ijust purchased a 97' avenger from my co-worker. It has 127k on it a rebuilt engine 19 inch rims w/nt555 245/40 zr 93w tires on it. What i know about the car from what the previous owner told me is that it needs a new power steering pump it makes a squeaking noise as i turn the wheel. If it is not that what could it be, any ideas that could save me some money would help.

I also want to do some upgrades on the car. i want to put an intake in, change out the headers, and the rotors and break pads for now. I have been looking around there is so much to choose from that it clutters my mind.

I gladly accept any advicethat can get me started on this projectfrom manufactures to what worked with your car. what type of fluidsi should change to anything.and approximately howmuch would these initial upgrades cost and if it is a DIY project. Just one more thing for now,in your opinion do you think the current tires are to big for the car?

Thanks Again,

Andy

Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Default RE: NEED ADVICE

The current tires are aight. I have seen our cars with Dubs (20"). In not too many cases its the rim size that messes up you car, it's the overall rolling diameter.

If it was the powersteering pump it would make a whinning sound constantly, the same sound which can be heard if you turn your car too far to the left or right. We have a recall on the lower control arms. WhichDodge will do for free just set up an appointment.

What type of engine do you have? The Avengers came with a V6 (only auto) and I4 (Auto or Manual) bigger headers will up you torque, a cat back exhaust and cold air intake will prolly give you around 10hp. With the cat back its best not to exceed 2 1/2 diameter on Natural Aspriated engines. If you check the top of the forum there is a sticky with all our perforamance links. Personnally I going with the 4G63T swap and AWD my avenger. Bad Venge has did a 3.0L swap on his.

Brakes are easy to change out. Just need a 1/2 drive rachet and If Iremeber correctly sockest between a 13mm and 17mm. I think the 2 slider pin bolts where 13mm or 14mm in size and the 2 caliper bolts where 16mm in size took me 2 hours for front and rear plus turning the rotors. Autozone turns rotors for ppl as well.

But if you have anymore question there are people here that will help. and Welcome to Dodge Forum

Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

i have an intake headers and a catback exhuast if you interested also a msd coil pack do you have a 4cylinder or six i have a 4 cylinder that im parting out so if you need anything let me know

Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intakes are readily available any of the eclipse 95/99 non turbo's will bolt in as well as the ebay Avenger intakes.... $50/$300

V6 headers are pretty hard to find, there was one group buy on them ,disturbing motorsports sent a set out to be remade for others ,unsure if they are done yet or not ...$200 used /$600 new

Brakes with that big of tire I'd do a GSX caliper swap(dual piston) to give you more braking force and a set of slotted or crossdrilled rotors to prevent warping and give increased stopping power.. $300 for front calipers /rotors and pads

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE