1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Upgrades / Gas Mileage / Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
wildneg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades / Gas Mileage / Performance

Kind of a stupid topic perhaps...

I have a 1998 Dodge Avenger, 2.0L, 5-Speed. It has a 108k miles on it. I take care of it, I bought it for a daily driver back and forth to work, so I don't have to drive my very fuel efficiant Dodge Ram 1500 w/ Hemi (sarcasm). LOVE THE TRUCK THOUGH.

I am going to be buying the programmer for my truck and a CAI for gas mileage (and performance). I want to know if I can do anything simple like that with the Avenger? I don't know if they have chips or computer programmers for the Avenger 2.0L like they do with the Hemi. Would a CAI help with gas mileage? Just want a bit more if I can out of it. And if there are anything anyone suggests, would it be dumb to put on a 108k car? I don't want to break it. I just want a bit more pep perhaps and gas mileage. I want 200k miles out of it. I take care of it... all maintance is done.

Suggestions appreciated!Thanks a bunch.

------ ------ ------
- Kevin

* 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi, Auto (Stock) (Red)
* 1998 Dodge Avenger 2.0L, 5 Speed (Stock) (Red)

Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
sprman9
Rookie
Default RE: Upgrades / Gas Mileage / Performance

cold air intake will help gas milage, i got 2 mpg with mine on the v6. you have the 420a as well... which is shared with the n/a eclipses and talons. so some parts will fit from them too. also id make sure all the co2 sensors are working right, that will help gas milage if they are all working... 108k isnt terrible, as long as everything is kept up with...

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
wildneg
Rookie

sprman9

I am actually trying to find a replacement hood for the 98 Avenger with a Ram Air kit for the 420a. Did some massive searchign this morning but didn't find anything. My hood rattles a bit, thats why I was going to do a all in one shot and I would be safe to say that a Ram Air System would acheive great gas mileage as well. But again, hard to find one.

So I will add the CAI to my list.

I seen some chips, but they are all 'performance'... usually ends up using more gas. So that might not be the greatest option.

How does one exactly go about checking the O2? I am guessing I will need to bring it into a shop? Or can I just check voltage? Thanks.

- Kevin

Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
darkestxxnight
Professional

there are NO performane chips for the 420a that actually work.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
darkestxxnight
Professional

ORIGINAL: wildneg

sprman9

I am actually trying to find a replacement hood for the 98 Avenger with a Ram Air kit for the 420a. Did some massive searchign this morning but didn't find anything. My hood rattles a bit, thats why I was going to do a all in one shot and I would be safe to say that a Ram Air System would acheive great gas mileage as well. But again, hard to find one.

- Kevin
a hood like this maybe?

http://www.disturbingmotorsports.com...7d6adf38bccf83

Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
wildneg
Rookie

Basically, yes! Do you know if they make a Ram Air kit for the hood?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
darkestxxnight
Professional

there is no "ram air kit" for avenger/sebrings. that hood does not come with the scoop open, but all that means is you have to cut out the fiberglass insert in the scoop. you could design a custom ram air setup.

Quick Reply: Upgrades / Gas Mileage / Performance