1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Turn signal/light switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
dava2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/light switch

Hi Y'all, new member here, I just purchased an 1998 Dodge Avenger, and the turn signal stalk will not stay in place when the right hand blinker is operated.
I am guess in it's the turn signal switch broken. I can get one from Autozone for $80, anyone have the how to, on replacing it ?
Does the steering wheel (and therefore the airbag) have to be removed, or is it possible to remove the cowling around the switch without removing the wheel ?
Any input would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn signal/light switch

four screws will remove the trim around the wheel , then you can remove the stalk

Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 PM
mark1267

There are at least 3 different versions of this switch 2 have only one side lever the other contains both levers you may need to match VIN numbers. At least know what you are after before you take it apart or you may be putting it back together while you wait for the correct part.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 AM
khooper
Rookie

I changed a turn signal switch on an older model and it wasn't too difficult. First you have to remove the horn button or top center piece of the steering wheel. There should be screws from the bottom side that you remove to do this. Once you get that off there is simply a large nut in the center than needs to be removed that holds the steering wheel on. [I did not need any sort of steering wheel puller.] Once the steering wheel is off you'll see how the turn signal switch is attached. its simply a matter of disconnecting the wires and removing screws and then putting everything back together. Make sure you get the steering wheel properly positioned. Before you start simply make sure the wheel is positioned in the straight ahead position.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: khooper

I changed a turn signal switch on an older model and it wasn't too difficult. First you have to remove the horn button or top center piece of the steering wheel. There should be screws from the bottom side that you remove to do this. Once you get that off there is simply a large nut in the center than needs to be removed that holds the steering wheel on. [I did not need any sort of steering wheel puller.] Once the steering wheel is off you'll see how the turn signal switch is attached. its simply a matter of disconnecting the wires and removing screws and then putting everything back together. Make sure you get the steering wheel properly positioned. Before you start simply make sure the wheel is positioned in the straight ahead position.
Khooper, you don't have to remove the steering wheel to remove the turn signal lever in Avengers/Sebrings. All you have to remove are the upper and lower steering wheel cowling or bezels. The stalk is held in place by 2-3 screws, once you remove the screws the stalk can be pulled out and then you can disconnect the harness (or removed it first, whichever you feel like doing).

Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 AM
dava2500
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies ! seems like it is an easy fix, Thanks again

Quick Reply: Turn signal/light switch