1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

crank wont start no compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
JokerzVeng
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank wont start no compression

hello my fellow avenger-o-philes...yeah its been awhile...but ok heres the situation...drivin down the road yesterday..car loses all power (horsepower) tried grabbin gears to keep her goin to no avail..checked spark,fuel and air on the side of the road..all kosher..so after almost 3 hours of tryin to get a lowered car up onto the trailer and unloaded without braking my ****...in 100 degree weather no less..lol
i got her home and did a compression test..and the results are in..lol...your the father...no..lol...j/k..sorry laughter has been the only thing getting me through this...but anyways 1 & 3 have no compression at all no even a dance of the needle 2 & 4 have 60 and 90 respectively and oil in the cylinders on 2 and 4 as well 1 and 3 dry..pullin the valve cover off right now...ill be back later to see if any of the the veng gurus could give me a little insight/past experience/or just damm dude your screwed...lol
cant really be a cam...pistons are moving...any advice and or good jokes about this being my only car and how if i would have treated her right she wouldnt have grabbed the kidz and up and left me high and dry..lol...thnx in advance...
JokerzVeng

Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
JokerzVeng
Rookie
Default RE: crank wont start no compression

TIMING BELT....;(
previous owner lied to me about 60k service i guess well this sucks...well i guess all i can hope for is by the grace of ma mopar herself i didnt bend the valves...

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

LOL!! Your madd stupid "your the father"

sounds like you jumped timing or have a cracked headgasket.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
disturbingavenger

If you broke the timing belt then you bent valves - most likely a lot of valves

Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
JokerzVeng
Rookie

thnx for the vote of confidence disturbing.....lol....still praying here....but having a problem gettin the motor mount bracket bolts out...tried raising/lowering engine. these are the bolts going to the engine (2.0 DOHC btw)from the mounting bracket not the mount itself bolts are too long to come out there is a hole in the frame but cant swing engine enough to use it....(figured it may be for 2.5 or w/e)
and of course my manual like all manuals just says remove them like my hands are 2 inches around and i have flexible wrenches....lol
any hints tips or just something i may not be seeing....wouldnt be the first time....thnx again

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet bent valves in 1 and 3 For SURE ...

Old 06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
disturbingavenger

Those bolt will come out - it just takes a fight sometimes -

remove the coolant overflow bottle and the bracket that holds it
then take the one strap loose from the metal lines that run along the frame rail
then take the motor up as high as you possibly can and you will get the one bolt out.

There is 1 or 2 of the bolts that i usually leave in the mount and take the mount and the bolts all out of the car at the same time.
Just be sure to put those bolts back into the mount while you are reassembling it.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:56 PM
JokerzVeng
Rookie

ok i have a few days off for the holiday....i CANNOT seem to get the damn frickin crank pulley off...tried 3jaw puller broke the flat stock strap...tried 2 jaw puller broke part of the outside flange where belt rides in...have used torch/put tension on with puller and hit with a hammer..im lost and frustrated...again.
tried to find info in old posts...nothing for the 2.0...help[ please guys...

Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key is that you need to put the crank pully bolt back in. It needs to be in the hole and threaded into the crank part way. Then using that puller you can press against the head of the bolt. This will alow you to pull the pully off until the bolt stops you. once you have started getting it to move you can thread the bolt out until it is only threaded into the crank 4-5 treads. Then use the puller again until the head of the bolt stops you from being able to go any farther. at this point the pully will be very close to comming off. Make sure that you always put the bolt in and tread it at least a couple turns of you will screw up the threads

If you can beg borrow or steal a Dodge harmonic balancer puller it works great or this one :
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...e=3&#54055

Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Sroufe7

ORIGINAL: Mopar McNeer date='Oct 23 2007, 10:38 PM

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...e=3&#54055
ORIGINAL: disturbingavenger date='Nov 13 2007, 08:26 PM
The tool shown above in the picture will work just fine

The key is that you need to put the crank pully bolt back in. It needs to be in the hole and threaded into the crank part way. Then using that puller you can press against the head of the bolt. This will alow you to pull the pully off until the bolt stops you. once you have started getting it to move you can thread the bolt out until it is only threaded into the crank 4-5 treads. Then use the puller again until the head of the bolt stops you from being able to go any farther. at this point the pully will be very close to comming off. Make sure that you always put the bolt in and tread it at least a couple turns of you will screw up the treads. I personally have a longer bolt with the same threads that i use to put into the hole and press against. The best thing about doing it this way is that when the pully finally pops off the crank it will not fall onto the floor and possibly break from the.
Just so you guys know, who posted the information that was just copied onto here.

Quick Reply: crank wont start no compression