1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

howto timing a 420a motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
coreydodge97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default howto timing a 420a motor

i need help on how to time my motor is there anyone that can help me out Thanks : Corey

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you have a Haynes/Chiltons manual and timing light? Just so you have documentation next to you, I would (as would many in here) suggest getting one of the manuals. You definitely need a timing light, otherwise, how else are you going to see the timing marks.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
BackToBlack

yeah i ahve done this many times in the past year i have owned my 95 avenger with the 420A motor. you ahve to pull your entire drive belt system. once everything is out of the way i have had fairly decient luck timing it. line the crank up one tooth off, and when you are pulling the timing belt around the exhaust cam gear you can roll it on, the cam gears are a pain to line up, and it takes a few attempts before you get it. important do not brake the timing belt cover!!!

things you will need to pull. start by taking the A/C power steering belt, then the alternator belt. then you need to pull the power steering pump, do not disconect the lines, and bracket. once that is all off and out of the way you need to pull the engine mount on the passenger side, near the strut. using a three jaw puller pull the crankshaft pully, then remove the timing belt cover. after that it is when the fun starts... you need to remove the hydraulic tensioner, then the belt. after that you need to set the timing marks as previously stated. and no you do not need a timing light!!! the timing belt tensioner will need to be compressed into a vise and using a small allen wrench to hold the pin in. when you think you have it timed correctly, install the tensioner, but not pulling the allen wrench out yet. after the tensioner is installed tight, remove the allen wrench. get tension on the belt and roll the crank over with a socket twice and make sure the makrs are atill lined up. if good re-assemble

Quick Reply: howto timing a 420a motor