1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1996 dodge avenger es 2.5 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
virginatheavenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

so i got it fixed the tensioner threw the bearings out and melted the timing cover so we got the parts and she should be runnin monday night but the 2.5 is not an interferance motor so we are all good

Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

WRONG the 2.5 IS an interference motor .... 3 teeth off is doom to the valves

Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM
virginatheavenger

umm well i have 3 teachers that worked for dodge and they all said non interferance motor they said the 2.0 is and they were famous for it but it only jumped two teeth but if it is still im fine there is nothin hittin and it has good compression on 2,4,6 so i think it will be fine

Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Funny EVERYONE of the 2.5's on any of the other three forums I'm on they are destroyed when the timing belt goes ...

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bad venge
Funny EVERYONE of the 2.5's on any of the other three forums I'm on they are destroyed when the timing belt goes ...
Yup, I was going to comment on that last night, but was too tired.
The 6g73s are interference motors. If the pistons are out of time enough, they will hit the valves and vice versa.
I suggest taking the front three plugs out and checking the piston heads for ANY signs of collision.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
virginatheavenger

we did we took 2 4 and 6 plugs out and it had good compression and it cranks like it wants to start we don't hear anything hittin and it only jumped 2 teeth so i think its fine b/c the compression wouldn't be good on 2 if the valves were all ****ed up b/c if it hit one it deff hit 2

Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
virginatheavenger

okay well she runs fine engine mount was a bit of a pain in the a$$ but she is runnin fine thought there might have been a problem with it when we got it started and pulled an engine code for rear bank lean but sumone for got to hook a spark plug wire back up so we got it hooked up and she ran like a dream so all valves are okay and so what but im glad to have her back not drivin her for two weeks she feels funny but it wont take long for me to get use to her again thanks bad venge and silvercoupe97 u guys were alot of help and let ppl know about this post when they have a similar problem and the part that took the timing belt the water pump it was biding up and i have seen a great change in gas milage with these new plugs i put in champion iridum plugs the teacher thought the voltage was wrong wit the plugs b/c they use so much less voltage

Quick Reply: 1996 dodge avenger es 2.5 won't start