1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Won't start...a real mystery.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Casse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start; same problem with 93 Intrepid 3.3L @68K

Went out to start my 94 Intrepid 3.3L; cranked fine; would start/die; start/die; etc. even when I gave it extra gas. after 8 times I gave up. Engine check light came on and stayed on. Next day, start/die, but this time with extra gas it continued running, but rough. engine check light stayed on. Got it to my mechanic, and the problem was a faulty MAP sensor. 2007 it was a faulty crankcase sensor. Would run fine when cold, but would die when warmed up and wouldn't start until cooled down. Engine check light never stayed on for the crank sensor. About a year later, had to put in a second crank sensor! The first one failed. My Intrepid only has 68K on it, so time is just as much of a problem for sensors as milage. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Casse; 04-11-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Correct model year
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
cnctony
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY KURTZ2 DONT CALL THE GUY ADVANCED OR RETARDED! THATS NOT NICE.
LOL
1. Crank sensor tells ECU when to spark.
2. Cam sensor tells ECU when to send fuel (injectors).
3. MAP (manifold absolute pressure), MAF (mass air flow) sensor, bla bla bla..... is feedback for the ECU. If one of these sensors is intermitant you would get a check engine light. If the car wont start put a code reader on it or cycle the ignition key 3 times and read the error codes.

Try and disconnect the feedback sensors and the car should start but wont idle. So if the car wont start intermitantly it is usually a bad connection to battery, crank or cam sensor that is going bad.

I would disconnect the Crank sensor, mas or map, TPS and all sensors and spray with electric parts cleaner, then use Di-electric grease on all connections reconnect and check battery voltage and battery connections.

If I had to shotgun this problem I would replace the Crank sensor first. I have fixed a Cirrus, intrepid and stratus, by replacing the crank sensor. All had the same symptoms you are describing. If you want to find the problem before buying parts then use OBD scanner and a scope or logic tester and start checking the sensors starting with the crank sensor, make sure you have fuel pressure and good battery voltage.

Quick Reply: Won't start...a real mystery.