1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

97 2.5L Avenger Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Killa200
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.... i took a drive and it turns out whatever i did has made things worse. At idle after things warm up it acts like it has a miss and tries to die. The few times it did die from this, crank was longer than usual when starting it back up.... like it had died from a lack of fuel and it was having to charge up the system again.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recheck installed parts for vacumn leaks ect ... could be CPS trouble as well

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Killa200
Rookie

CPS? camshaft or crank sensor? If its the crank i am gonna be tee'd as its less than a year old, lol

Last edited by Killa200; 04-19-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be either , but I'd lean more to the cam

Old 04-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Killa200
Rookie

the 2.5L v6 has the camshaft position sensor in the distributor right? IF so it was replaced shortly before the crank position sensor in attempts to fix a prior issue with it cutting off while driving.

As of this writing, i can think of these items being replaced within the last year - year and a half:

Fuel pump and tank, crank sensor, distributor, distributor cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs, egr and seal, iac, map sensor.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
virginatheavenger

mine does it too have you checked the timing belt or anything like that if timing is off by one degree it can really screw **** up mine went two degrees and the cylinders wwould fight each other to try and start the car and watch ur tranny too

Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Killa200
Rookie

Tranny was a tad low on fluid but there was a known front leak on the cooler lines. That was topped off and its been fine on that note.

Timing belt is probably due for a replacement, which is something i will get the shop to do, as while i will work on anything on the car, i am not going to work with the timing since the engine is an interference engine.... i don't need a 6k mistake,

Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Killa200
Rookie

So an update to this story. Shortly after this mess the car started blowing our the coils in the distributor (thank god for lifetime warranties) causing the card to not have spark. Did this about two more times, and after replacing the distributor things worked just fine again.

Fast forward to last week. Sunday night the car decided to stop running once again, signifying that it probably once again blew out a distributor. Wrong! Upon further inspection (aka actually paying attention to the dash between cranking the car) I noticed the check engine light was never initially turning on with key turn... or doing a key dance. ECU finally blew out, which i figured was coming since i was out of things to fix that could solve the whole stuttering issue.

So Thursday came around and the refurb ECU came in. (woohoo @ that having a lifetime warranty too) Now with the new ECU in, not only is it running again but it also has no stall issues or stutter issues, AT ALL! About time, eh? lol

Quick Reply: 97 2.5L Avenger Issues