1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Well, I'm learning a little more

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:41 PM
COYOTE102076
|
Rookie
Default Well, I'm learning a little more

Have about 350 or so miles on my car since I bought it now. Chanecg the oil tonight. I used some 10W40 I allready had bought for my previous vehicle. What is the best wt & brand of oil to use in these 2.5L v-6's?

Also, while under the car I lookes to the rear & noticed the rear struts had a **** on the side of them. So I went under the rear and noticed the **** is markes 1 - 8. They were set on 8. I turned them back down to 1. Then as I was adding iol to the engine I noticed the top of the strut had a place for a small flathead screwdriver, and it had markings from 1 to 4. So I set them on 1 as well. It is my hope that this is why the car rides so stiff!!! I was exited to find this out! ( As mentioned in a previous post, one of my complaints, although a minor one, was this cars very very stiff ride.)
The brand on the struts was AGX. Dont know anything about them other than that. Not sure if that is a good brand or just some cheap shock company.

I will find out on my way home tonight if it helped or not. I still think going from a V speed rated tire to an H or rated tire with a softer sidewall will help allot though. But I cant throw out $400 for new tires at this moment.
Who has the best bargains on rims? Looking for a black mag rim with chrome or polished alluminium outer rim in 16", new or used.

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:57 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

KYB AGX's are a fairly expensive strut NORMALLY used with lowering springs ... Most folks won't spend the extra money for the adjustability on stock springs

Old 03-07-2009 | 10:15 AM
COYOTE102076
|
Rookie

Well, it did not change from a racing go-cart ride to a LHS ride, but it did help some! The ride is still "jiggly" over all but the smoothest of pavement. However, this car handles better than 98% of all the other vehicles I have owned, so I will accept that as a good trade off.
Can the 2.5L handle a 100 shot nitro kit, or will it have a meltdown?
Also, do you know of a trully GOOD cat back exhaust system?
When I was changing the oil last night, I noticed it has a cat-converter, 2 resonators, and the Mitsu muffler at the end. Just figured that was a lot of restriction for such a small motor. Not shure if a free flowing exhaust would help much, but I figued it would not hurt any.
Also, I plan on dooing a tune up in the very near future. What is the best spark plugs & wires to use?
Sorry for so manny ?'s. Just like to be in the know before buying anything. My money is slow & hard to come by, and I can not afford to redo something over & over till I get it right. I like to do it right once and be done with it.
I know this is a Mitsubishi engine. In my next to last car ( 1992 Plymouth Laser, 1.8L)
I used NGK V-Power plugs with very good results, so I was thinking about using them again for this engine.
But in the Laser, you can change the plugs in something like 3 minuts. NOT SO for this v-6 !!!! :-)

Old 03-07-2009 | 03:54 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

The jiggly ride is likely a lowering spring issue... Swapping back to stock springs may fix that ...
You can run any of the mitsu eclipse cat backs by adding 8" of pipe in the front section
I'm running a tannabe cat back
Yes the 2.5 can handle 100 shot with proper mods ...be VERY careful as the 1st cylinder can pool and CAN meltdown
Plugs and wires depends on what you are going to do with the nitrous or not

Old 03-07-2009 | 07:09 PM
COYOTE102076
|
Rookie

Plugs & wires for a stock engine for now. Nitros in about 12 to 18 months from now. I would like to run our local 1/8 mile track without being too embarrased by these SLOW cars! Do you know what the 1/8 mile time (Average best guestimate) should be for a bone stock v-6 Avenger / Sebring?
How well do the auto trans hold up? From what I read from other owners, under stock setups, they last a long time. But if I start shooting 100 shots to it, welllllll........... kinda makes me wonder.
I would probabally only run it at the track about 50 trips down the strip.

Old 03-07-2009 | 08:46 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

If you ARE planning Nitrous I'd get the 10mm magnacores ... Plugs non nitrous I'd run the Denso Iridiums , once you go nitrous you'll have to go back to coppers
Time slip from last season:
60 foot: 1.949
330 foot: 5.715 @ 0.000 mph
1/8 mile: 8.830 @ 78.000 mph
1000 foot: 11.315 @ 0.000 mph
1/4 mile: 13.750 @ 104.000 mph
But I'm far from stock ... I'd say 12 seconds seconds stock 1/8th 17seconds in the 1/4
I rebuilt the tranny with performance parts in 99 , stockers are weak and they can die ... best insurance is at least an additional tranny cooler , A stratus final drive gear (from the 4 cyl) will help with the 1/8th mile times

Last edited by bad venge; 03-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2009 | 09:06 PM
COYOTE102076
|
Rookie

That is some really good times. The dude that brings our uniforms to us for working in has a '06 GT Mustang convertible. Stock he was runing 9.40 9.60's. Now after about $3k in mods he is runing mid 8's. This is no spray, no forced induction. Just raw detroit HP!
I would like tosee mine in the 9 second range. I would even be happy with 9.75.
And these are 8th mile times mind you.
I will never see the 8 second range in this car. If I WAS to go that far, or wanted a car that fast, I'd go with a EVO motor swap. AHHH H#!!, I'd just have to win the lottery and get a REAL EVO XI !!!! Thanks for the info man!

Quick Reply: Well, I'm learning a little more