1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Trans/General question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 AM
97TClxiSTL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/General question

Thinking about getting a 98 Avenger. One I am thinking about needs a new transmission. Price that I can get it for makes it worth it. Even if I end up parting it out I will make money. I've rebuilt engines & replaced transmissions in several Porsches so I'm no newbie. I have the time, space and tools to tackle pretty much any project. But have a few questions about these cars.

Transmission are an obvious issue with these, what else should I look for or check other then normal used car items?
What transmission do these use? I have read different things about them such as what other cars use them (sebrings, cirus, etc), but on the diy section it looks like it's the A604 which is also used in the Caravan's. Is this accurate?
What is the shop time to remove & replace the transmission? Just in case I feel like having a shop do it.

Any other info or gotcha's I need to look out for or be worried about let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tranny IS the A604 , If you are looking for used the Venge/Sebring/Cirrus/ Stratus are prime loaner cars ... The Caravans have different motor so the bell housing bolts are different ...

Other things to check , Timing belt , the 2.5 motor is a Zero clearance motor Loose the belt loose the motor

Shop time 3hrs removal/3hrs install

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM
97TClxiSTL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean it's an interference engine? I'm used to those.

Quick Reply: Trans/General question