1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Where Do I find Engine Code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Ridge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Do I find Engine Code?

I am replacing the front exhaust and my catylitic converter on my 2000 Avenger. Some of the parts I was looking at say their for a particular engine code like N. I was wondering where I could find that? as I want to buy the right parts.

Also I can not find a rear exhaust meaning from the back of the cat converter to the the muffler or with the muffler. Anyone know where I can find one for a decent price. I have found some, but for like 600-700$ so.
The rear pipe looks find else than the flange is very rusty looking, the front pipe has a small leak just in front of the larger flex and cat converter heat sheild is starting to rust out. So I might replace the whole thing if the flange falls off the rear when I try to put the new stuff on.

Oh has anyone tried pulstar spark plugs in their avengers if so what was the horsepower and fuel economy gains?

Thanks
Ridge

Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm unaware of differences onthe V6 the 97+ are the same ... unsure on the I4 ..
Cat back exhaust buy a mitsu eclipse and have an exhaust shop add 8" to it

Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Ridge

Yes apparently there is because the front exhaust I just ordered off ebay was the wrong one. The picture they showed had the right bend on the front and had 2 visible O2 sensor holes on the picture. The one they sent me had a weird bend that would either hit the starter motor heat sheild and/or prevent me from putting heat sheild around the exhaust because the bend was wrong and it only had 1 O2 sensor hole. Needless to say I was pissed and chewed there head off because I had to pay like 80$ all together to recieve and return it to them, they said I should have contacted them first to make sure it was the right front flex exhaust. Which their picture showed it was, but there description was worded weird and made no references to any different front exhausts to check on.

well anyways I was looking at the right front flex pipe and a direct fit cat converter from magnaflow. So would the mitsu eclipes pipe include the converter as well and what year(s). Im thinking it will but just making sure?

Last edited by Ridge; 04-25-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

Well first off, you can find the engine code by looking at the eight digit of the VIN, which should be probably be an N. But most of the parts should be the same as long as you've got a V6 first gen.

If you're looking to do the exhaust I would try an auto parts chain (O'Reilly's, Auto Zone) where you can get the pieces you want for pretty cheap and just pay a small exhaust shop to weld them on, this way you get exactly the sound you want for your exhaust.

I would recommend replacing the whole thing if you can afford it if you stay in a snowy region or salty region and then rust-proofing it cuz that exhaust can be a progressive problem

I never tried them because before my auto place got them I had just put some Champion Double Platinums in, but the science behind them seem great! ( would hope so at 20 bucks a plug)

Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 95/96 are different I'd guess thats what they sent you
disturbing motorsports has a high performance replacement for the flex piece and DP

Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Ridge

Thanks, Bad Venge the cat converter is cheaper than anywhere I've seen. The downpipe won't work though. The 2000 make apparently has a pre-cat converter in between the front and back pipes and has 2 oxygen sensors on it. One on the front pipe, one on the pre-cat converter, and one on the back pipe. I've seen some that might work it says its for 96-99 2.5L engine, but has all the oxygen sensors holes and pre cat-converter and it looks excatly like my current stock down pipes. I'm just hoping the spacing is right. I've had a hard time finding parts for the 2000. Everything says from 96-99 avenger and excludes the 2000. Even those downpipes on disturbing motorsports say excludes cali spec cars and all 2000 make cars. I'm thinking from the cat-back its the same, its just the front downpipes are different.

Thanks, candacebadie Found the engine code its N, I found a rear exhaust on autozones site and for pretty cheap too. Now I just need to find the right down pipes.

Quick Reply: Where Do I find Engine Code?