1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

engine trouble......

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine trouble......

Problem with my v6.....

When i start it after it sitting for a few hours it idles rough and around about 500 or less rpm. if it give it gas when this is happening it pops and sounds like there is something beating from the inside of the engine almost like a backfire through the intake. Once it gets over this fit it runs like a champ. Today when it was doing it it blew some blue smoke out of the tail pipe and my oil has a tinge of gas smell in it. I recently has my water pump replaced along with the timing belt. I do not think it is the timing belt because it only does this sometimes and only when I first start the car.

Any ideas???

Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Im guessing you have oil leaking down and flooding your cylinder. Can you do me a favor and pull a spark plug 4 me. If u have the 2.0L 4cyl just 1, if u have the 2.5L v6 2 (1 from both banks)

Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I'm thinking bad tube seals ///Oil grounding out the plugs

Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default OK......

Threw a code finally. It was the coolant temperature sensor. Instead of reading 180 it was reading anywhere between -1ºF to 10ºF. Replaced it with a 2.0 sensor since the 2.5 sensor advanced had wouldn't fit in my car but now I am getting great gas mileage and no problems at all now.

Quick Reply: engine trouble......