1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Crank sensor removal '97

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
tobytigger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank sensor removal '97

I read the sticky on testing the crank sensor and removed the bolt but can not get the sensor out. It looks like a plastic housing and I don't wont to break it trying to pry it out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Based on how I read the sticky, it sounds like the sensor should be removed to test the voltage. Is that right?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should pull out easily rock it back and forth , sometimes they melt a little
yes to remove it to test

Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM
tobytigger
Amateur

'97 avenger 2.5 6 cyl. Recap: I tested the crank sensor at the connector and got 9 volts and 5 volts and 0 but did not remove it from the tranny. I have a spark, hear the fuel pump running, the relays are clicking and I smell gas on the plugs. Replaced the wires, rotor and dist cap. Engine turns over fine but still no ignition. The fuel pump and filter were replaced about 6 months ago. I sprayed some starter fluid and it sounded like it started for about a second. No check engine light displays but it does light up and beep.

Is there a way to test the cam sensor and/or the distributor or should I replace the distributor and pray?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You need to remove the cps and see if the voltage changes when metal is put in front of the sensor ....

the cam sensor can be tested similarly but would need removed ...

Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
tobytigger
Amateur

Thanks for your patience and help. Can you tell me the specs for the cam sensor test?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If I remember correctly it's the same as the CPS just need to remove the Distributor to get it ... It uses a hall sensor similar to the other CPS

Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
tobytigger
Amateur

The crank sensor is stuck. I tried twisting it with a wrench, using a screw driver along the back and used the tranny housing as leverage to get some movement of the sensor. Wouldn't budge and eventually broke the tab. Then banged on it with a long socket extension and no luck. Finally broke it in small pieces down to about 1/2 inch above the housing. I'm worried that if I go further I'll push plastic into the tranny and then I'll have to call the junkyard. Any suggestions as to how to remove with least damage?

Quick Reply: Crank sensor removal '97