1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
dpcar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 transmission problem

I have a problem with the transmission going into limp mode. I did a scan and got the 768 code. I change the fluid and filter, input and output sensors and the TCM relay, I rest the computer by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery, about two hours. Re-connected the cable and tried it out. Was fine for a block and then it went into limp mode again. Planning on replacing the shift solenoid, since the code was for the solenoid. Couldn't it be anything else? Anything I can test? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the code was for the solenoid I'd have replaced that first before swapping all the other stuff ...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

It seems to be more fun throwing a bunch of parts at the problem instead of using proper diagnostic proceedures. Then after you throw a solenoid pack at it and still have a problem... then what? besides,you shouldn't be wasting your time reading PCM trans related codes, when the trans computer has codes and it's much more accurate for diagnosis including trans data stream and functional test functions with any quality scanner and not one of them wanna be a mechanic code readers (I wish the code readers were banned... ever since they came out every Joe Schmoe thinks they can be an ace technician... when in all reality, they throw parts at the code without understanding what's going on)

Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
dpcar

I am not an ace mechanic nor do I pretend to be. The reason I replace those parts first is because what other people had replaced to fix a similiar problem, also, those parts I replaced a whole whopping $55. I just bought the solenoid today and I replace that tomorrow. I will report back when completed.

Quick Reply: 98 transmission problem