1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tranny swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010 | 05:11 PM
Reavenger
|
Default Tranny swap questions

Hey guys, I like to buy problem cars and fix them up in my spare time. It gives me something to do and money in my pocket. Fixing up Avengers just seems to be what I am destined to do. With the info on this board I have put 3 Avengers back on the road in tip top shape.

I think I out smarted myself with my latest purchase. It is a 1998 Avenger ES 2.5l auto. I bought it thinking it had an electrical problem with the tranny because it was stuck in limp mode. Replace solenoid pack, firewall relay, and input speed sensor. Still the same problem, when it goes to shift to third it freewheels for a bit then clunks into second as the cel comes on. codes say trannsmision control malfuction, and incorrect 3rd gear ratio. I am now assuming mechanical failure.

I am thinking of puting a used tranny in the car now. I have available at a low cost an a604 that is in a 2004 sebring that I know to be in excellent shape. Does anyone know if it will work in my Avenger? If not what all models would have compatable transmissions? 1995-2000 Avengers and Sebrings I would assume to be the same. What about the Breeze,Cirrus, and Stratus, would they work? Anything else Chrysler made that the tranny would be a direct swap into an Avenger?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:28 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

Unsure on the 04 Sebring I'm thinking NO. As I think those don't have the 2.5
breeze cirrus stratus will work IF they are the 2.5

On the current one is the speedo reading ?

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:41 PM
Reavenger
|

The speedo works. If there is any other possibility that it is electrical, I'd love to hear it, unfortunatly I am almost certain now that it is mechanical. I would love to be proven wrong.

The 04 sebring has a 2.7 in it. It seems alot of the guts of the transmissions are similar, but I can't find out if it will bolt up to the 2.5, or anything else in the Avenger.

Is there any way to find out for sure? Some kind of reference material from Chrysler or aftermarket parts manufacturer?

I also have access to a tranny out of a 95 stratus with a 2.5L. They are the same price, so I was thinking the tranny out of the '04 would be a better value. I know the one in the '04 is in good shape, the '95 has the sellers word it is good, whatever that is worth. Do you think I should just go with the one out of the '95?

Last edited by Reavenger; 01-31-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2010 | 10:59 PM
Traction Dynamics

You need to check and see if all the electrical plugs are the same. Then check to see if the rear mount above the differential is the same. I am not sure which years and models fit accept for the 95. The 95 Avenger ES with the 2.5 V6 has a transmission all it's own. Some will bolt in but the plugs are different. The ones with the right plugs for electrical dont have the same mount at the back.

Now all that being said, we had the same problem with two different transmissions.
What was happening is that third gear is stripped out of the thing so when it tries to read third gear speed there is an error and it goes into limp in mode.

hope this helps a little
Doug

Old 02-17-2010 | 09:24 AM
Reavenger
|

I ended up putting in the tranny out of the '95 stratus. It bolted right up and all the electrical connections were the same. The car runs and shifts great. I'm replacing a control arm tonight so it will drive right and it's going up for sale.

Quick Reply: Tranny swap questions