1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Can I use this oil-chaning-pump for the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM
jonthee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use this oil-chaning-pump for the tranny?

Hi!

I am about to replace "half" of the tranny-oil in my Dodge Avenger 2.5 V6 -96, and I was wondering if a simple oil-changing-pump will work?

I know I should change filter also but I just havent got any space for it, the garage is allready storaging another car.

Thanks in advance!

Best regard

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's easier to remove a cooling line and use the tranny pump to but that into the bucket and fill as it goes into the bucket

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi and thanks for your reply!

But is it possible to put the hose from the oil-chaning-pump down the dipstick and "suck" up half of the traany-fluid?

Then just fill the transmission up with same amount of oil/fluid?

Im afraid the hose is going to ruin something in the transmission, hehe =)

Best regards
Jonathan
Sweden

Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd NEVER mix old/new fluids , my way can do an entire change just run thru an extra few quarts.

I can't tell the diameter of the hose and if it will fit down the dipstick and length enough to get to the fluid

Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 AM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi again!

Thanks for the reply, but in the service manual, doesnt they say you should replace only half of the fluid while not doing a complete flush?

Can I damage something if I mix it? I have bought some quarters of Mopar ATF +4.

Best regards

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I only do a full change the old fluid will weaken the new

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jonthee
Hi!

I am about to replace "half" of the tranny-oil in my Dodge Avenger 2.5 V6 -96, and I was wondering if a simple oil-changing-pump will work?

I know I should change filter also but I just havent got any space for it, the garage is allready storaging another car.

Thanks in advance!

Best regard

No, that pump will NOT work. It looks like the same $10 one I got from autozone for my MTX jobs, but mine is black and orange. If I'm correct the hose is too short and the diameter is too big to fit down into the Automatic Transmission Pan. Honestly (don't offense to this) changing half of your transmission pan fluid is a waste of your hard earned money. You'll probably get one or 2 quarts at most out with that thing not to mention how long it will take trust me your arms will be sore after 2 quarts. Changing out 1/2 you fluid is like a restaurant having a pot of coffee sit out all day then when its cold and 1/2 empty filling it with fresh new coffee.

Your better off dropping the pan and changing the filter. It still won't get all the transfluid out because there is still fluid in the transmissions veins and torque converter as well as the cooler. I do like Bad Venge's idea of disconnecting the trans cooler line and adding now fluid tho.

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-29-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I use this oil-chaning-pump for the tranny?