1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

2000 Avenger constant wine/moan

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM
bdc0923
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Avenger constant wine/moan

New to the forum and wanted to say thanks for the wealth of information on this forum from all members!
I just brought a 2.5 back to life and have 1 more issue, I am getting a contiuous wine when the car is running I am 99% sure it is the power steering pump bearings. Just wanted to know if this was common the noise does not change when the car is turned but accelerates with the motor RPM's, it almost sounds like a turbo in a weird way. I narrowed it down with the screw driver to ear trick. What is the experts thoughts on this?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Hello and Welcome Dodge Forum's Avenger forum.

A whine while turning would suggest air in the powersteering fluid and would need to be removed. If your hearing a whining or growling noise for the P/S pump while idling with a screwdriver, straw, etc I would lead me to believe it was the bearing. I would remove the P/S belt and running the car and listen. Then with the car off spin the powersteering pump pulley and check for any play. Check other pulleys as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check the tensioner a more common problem ...I've not heard of any power steering pump related issues

Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM
bdc0923

Ya, I took a vacation day today I will do what you guys suggest. Hopefully it isn't the pump, I also hope it is not something even worse than that. Was thinking of doing the timing belt and all the suggested repairs while I am in there but wanted to hold off just a little longer or atleast till the snow flies around here.
I will let you guys know what I find!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 AM
bdc0923

Found out it is the Alternator making this noise. Never heard or even thought to check an Alternator for this noise, sounded just like a bad pump for sure or air like suggested. Just pulled the belt and motor was a quiet as can be until I spun the Alternator. Going to do a timing belt slash water pump next weekend, should be an adventure!

Quick Reply: 2000 Avenger constant wine/moan