1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 avenger hub assembly trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM
kidtrell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 96 avenger hub assembly trouble

I'm a "self taught" novice mechanic and i just bought a 96 avenger 2.5L V6 for my girlfriend. Heard some noise coming from the rear passenger side tire and traced it to the bearings. I've disassembled the breaking system down to the hub assembly, but the hub is seized on... I have the new assembly, but i cant get the old one off! I've tried the BFH and applying leverage... liquid wrench and WD-40... and other cheap solutions?? ANY feed-back will help

Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three armed puller ?

Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM
pghsebring
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the front:

On a 2.0L engine from these cars, there is a pulley/idler for the alternator and powersteering pump belt.

You disassemble this idler, it its a perfect diameter to fit in behind the hub after you've pulled the axle...and you beat the **** out of it with a hammer, and i'll pop the hub out. PS. Use a spare idler...this destroys it. Or find some other object this exact diameter...i think 3 inches?

For the back:

Beat the **** out of it with a hammer...eventually it'll pop loose...you're not reusing it, are you? Get a sledge if necessary. Use a compressor and an air chisel.

...also, use fire if you can on the knuckle (although you need a ton), try to get it hot, and try to get pb blaster in there too if need be.

If all else fails, you have to take the knuckle off and put it in a shop press. Once its off, you can also get it pinned down and really kill it with the hammer....

Last attempt - put wheel back on, grab outside of wheel, you get more leverage. Put a ****ty tire/rim on it, and you can beat the crap out of that too...

Oh, almost forgot - get a big bar and drill 2 holes through it exactly spaced for 2 bolts of hub (4.5"?), bolt it on, and go to town with prying, hammering, etc.

Quick Reply: 96 avenger hub assembly trouble