1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

avenger wants to die and miss when giving gas in drive and revers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 PM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avenger wants to die and miss when giving gas in drive and revers

Hello everyone,, I just bought a 98 dodge avenger with the 2.5 v6 in it.. Its not a bad looking car yet, it has over 200 thousand miles on it but the guy that owned it said he drove it everywhere.. Well here is the problem it starts right up fine and idles right under 1000 rpms,,, but when i go to put it in drive and give it gas it puts and wants to die unless i hammer down on it,, it does the same thing when i put it in reverse.... It seems like it doesnt do it untill it warms up alittle,, I hate this problem, it died on me about 5 times the other night with people behind me, I just put it in nutrel real fast and it starts right back up... If anyone knows what this could be please help,,, when it park it idles about 800 rpm, is this normal also.... I havnt replaced anything on it yet, I want to change the plugs and wires and all the sensors but would love to find a quick fix for now untill i have all the money for that.. The check engine light is not on either inside the car... If i am just sitting in park and give it gas it revs up and sounds great, it only puts out and wants to die when I put it in gear to go... THank you..

Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st clean the intake tract with seafoam or intake cleaner
Cleaning the TB and intake tract
2nd Block off the EGR and see if the idle improves
Bad EGR can allow unmetered air in causing bad idle
A simple gasket made out of a pop can works well
If the idle improves either leave it blocked off or replace
3rd remove the IAC and clean it with intake cleaner
Sometimes cleaning will fee it up and return operation
LAST replace the IAC

Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
jahorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks man,,, do you know of anywhere i can go and see how to do these things step by step

Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much GAVE you the step by step ...
First get intake cleaner , remove the airfilter hose and start the car spray the Throttle body and butterfly to remove as much dirt as you can then rev the motor and continue spraying in short bursts (the car may stall out if you spray too much) Also listen for leaks in/around the manifold if you hear suspect an area spray it if the idle changes that might be your problem.Restart the car and See if the car idles,
If not NEXT STEP

Next remove the EGR off the rear of the manifold (dead center) there are two bollts.
Take and cut a pop can gasket to block it off then insert gasket and rescrew it into the rear of the manifold. Restart the car and listen for a leak back there no leaks If there are leaks try resealing it or retightening then see if car idles , If not next step

Remove the Idle Air Control from the T/B and clean and spray it off with T/B cleaner. See if it seems free and moveable, Restart car and see if it Idles. If not NEXT STEP

Replace the Idle Air Control

Quick Reply: avenger wants to die and miss when giving gas in drive and revers