1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Slight RPM increase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Bossman9784
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight RPM increase?

Hello all,

I've always come to dodge forum to answer all my other car questions that make no sense to me so here it is. The car is a 96 avenger 2.5L V6 auto trans. Normally at 80mph the car runs 2900rpm. Over the last week it has been occasionally running a little fast. It likes to run at about 3200-3300 at 80. If i stop, turn it off and restart it will usually return to normal. Its still in overdrive. If the car is out of overdrive it runs 3800-4000 at 80. It is not searching for gears or anything like that. I would assume that at a given engine RPM, in a given gear the car should always run the same speed? Anyways if anyone knows what’s going on here your input would be helpful. It still runs and drives great with 202k, but this is annoying and is decreasing the gas mileage.

Thanks

Boss

Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM
jahorman

Well dude I have the same problem and my 98 avenger 2.5 is getting horrible gas milage.. It is going to the shop today, I told the mechanic to check everything and what it was doing.. I have a acceleration problem when giving it gas it wants to die unless you romp on it and the last 2 days driving to work the rpms are jumping up around 70 like you said your was... I hope this isnt a major problem like the timing or something really expensive but when i get home tonight and get the car i will let you know what this mechanic thinks it is.. I did buy a new throttle position sensor, he is going to put that on,, I dont know if that can cause this but i will let you know what i find out..

Old 02-12-2011, 03:16 AM
jahorman

ok i just got my car back last night and after the mechanic put on the throttle position sensor it is running great,,, the rpms dont jump around anymore and it looks like i am getting alot better gas mileage... Dont know if this is your problem dude, but if you do buy one look on ebay,, it was 85 dollars at the parts store here in town and only 20 dollars on ebay..

Quick Reply: Slight RPM increase?