1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tapping comming from motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 AM
HeartlessD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tapping comming from motor

Theres a tapping comming from my motor. Took it to a mechanic and he removed the valve cover to check the valves, springs etc. He told me everything seemed ok but he told me it could just be a floating valve ( atleast I think thats what he called it). He told me to do an engine flush, oil change and to add a qt of lucas oil stablizer along with the 3 qts of standard motor oil. Did this and its still tapping. Also while inspecting the old oil after the flush, I noticed metal particals simular to glitter in the oil. Seems to be doing it more now then before. So my next guess would be the rod bearing. This all started when I ran low on oil. I looked in my Haynes manual and there isnt to much on replacing them. If anyone could give me a step by step reference or possibly give me a walkthrough on how to do this, it would be greatly appriciated.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the tapping more from the top end or the bottom end ?
I'd suspect a clogged passageway restricting oil to the heads , too little oil can cause rapping /tapping ...

Truthfully you don't state mileage the bottom end will likely need a rebuild as well you might be firther ahead to get a long block

Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
HeartlessD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not to sure yet. Gonna check it out here in a sec. But if the noise is comming from the bottom, I would assume rod bearings. But I get what your saying. Doing the flush could have clogged my oil screen and might need to be flushed out. I feel im going to have to remove the oil pan anyways. But I did notice when the mechanic removed my valve cover, everything looked as if it was stained with burnt oil. Although the valve cover was leaking so im sure its getting oil to the head. Maybe less now becouse of the flush. IDK lol... Gonna have a friend of moms to have a look at it. Im actually regretting buying the car now. All I keep hearing is bad reveiws on the motor anyways. Ugggg

Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2.0 is not a bad motor ... But again how many miles are on it ? te more miles the more chance it's crank or rod bearings

Quick Reply: Tapping comming from motor