1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

98 2.0L idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
shr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2.0L idle problems

I have a 98 with a 2.0 Dohc in it, 113.5K miles, owned it since new without any problems up until about a month ago! When in idle state (driving or just parked) it seems to be missing out.. the tach will sit there and move 2-400 rpms and the car really feels like there is a miss in it! Now driving there is nothing like that the car still runs great and gets the usual 27-28 mpg without any miss fire feeling it is only when in a idle state! I have a new fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil pack and that did not take care of the problem.... any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Mavman
Professional

Could always run some seafoam through it. Have you ran fuel injector cleaner or anything that would clean the valves? Could just be some carbon buildup and the valves arent sealing as good. That just what I think. Badvenge will be here to help you though. He is the avenger repair god or so it seems lol.

My opinion would be to run some seafoam through the intake manifold. Worst case is that it doesnt fix your problem but cleans your intake and possibly gives you a 1 - 2 mpg increase. Best case is that it fixes your problem and possibly gives you a 1 - 2 mpg increase.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM
shr

Ok I ran some sea foam through the intake tract and it did not clear up the rough idle, but tonight a different problem arrived on my way home. I was driving home approx 65 mph with the cruise on, the throttle dropped off like the motor was going to die, then came back up and ran fine for about a mile then the check engine light started to flash and the car was running without any power and shaking pretty good! It is now running very rich and it sounds like a tractor through the exhaust, it really feels like it is misfireing but I pulled the plugs and all of them are consistand without and exsessive oil or fuel smell. I have check all vaccum lines I could and did not see any cracks or disconnect lines, my coil pack, plugs and wires, fuel filter are all new within 7-8 thousand miles... Where and what else can I check? The car has 120.7K milage on it now.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashing CEL = multi misfires =plugs/wires coils or injector

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM
shr

I pulled out the plugs and spun the motor and the #3 plug is not firing.. coil pack is bad! i have one that i am going to pick up tomorrow and see how it goes!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Sammy89

the distributor just got mine replaced was having the same issue and 1900 bucks guessing what it was and turned out the distributor

Quick Reply: 98 2.0L idle problems