1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Engine stalling within the 1st mile

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:44 PM
OffshoreMetal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling within the 1st mile

Hi , I own a 98 Avenger with 190,000Km on it , The car works well but depending on the weather ( more when it has just rained ) the car will have multiple misfires and the engine will struggle to accelerate. It eventually stalls and i have to restart is a couple of times to get it working again. This happens only when the car has sit overnight and only when it is still cold. Once the engine is warm this problem does not come back again on that day.

When this happens the car act weird , all the dash lights flash and act weird like if i was putting the key to ON and OFF several times per second. Check engine light is now on and I will bring it to the garage to be readed.

I know someone who also has a 98 avenger and the same problem happens sometimes too.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 AM
OffshoreMetal

Made alot of research and found out that it could be the EGR valve. I will clean it and see if it is the problem. Anyone knows where it is located ? I dont really know what it looks like but I will try to find the part on the net to see it. I heard is sould be on the top right of the Intake manifold ?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't state MOTOR , I assumed 2.5l V6

1st clean the intake tract with seafoam or intake cleaner
Cleaning the TB and intake tract
2nd Block off the EGR and see if the idle improves
Bad EGR can allow unmetered air in causing bad idle
A simple gasket made out of a pop can works well
If the idle improves either leave it blocked off or replace
3rd remove the IAC and clean it with intake cleaner
Sometimes cleaning will fee it up and return operation
LAST replace the IAC

EGR is located dead center on the rear of the manifold , Examine the piping for cracks/rust/rot As mentioned remove the bolts and block it off this will show if the EGR is bad it's plumbed into the right side and theres a tube on the left side that goes to the headers

IAC is on the Throttle body hard to miss

Also examine the upper to lower manifold gasket I've seen these fail and the air leak will cause bad idle

Last edited by bad venge; 05-23-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 AM
OffshoreMetal

Thanks Bad_Venge, Yes it is a 2.5L V6. I forgot ( somehow ) a usefull information.
The car starts fine , Idles fine but its when it gets warmer that the problem appears. So I go off my driveway and drive for like 5 minutes then the problem appear.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM
OffshoreMetal

Got my engine readed , P1391 intermittent loss of CMP or CXP. I readed that its probably the Crank position sensor or the Cam position sensor.

Anything i should know ? Where are they located ? Are those hard / expensive to change ?

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Engine stalling within the 1st mile