1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Update on 97 Dodge Avenger ES no start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Mavman117
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on 97 Dodge Avenger ES no start...

I think I have finally been able to figure out the problem with my avenger. I think when the alternator belt went it either somehow damaged the timing belt or the timing belt coincidently stretched to the point at that moment that it could jump a tooth. When it quit running I tried to start it and it acted like I have little to no compression. This would make sense if it did indeed jump a tooth. Also I think that when I stopped trying to start it the last time it somehow jumped a second tooth and locked the motor in place since there is only around 1/3 of a turn that you can turn the engine either way before it stops moving.

When checking the timing belt earlier tonight I pressed down on it between the cams and water pump. The belt deflected over an inch. In my opinion with the cams and water pump being so close that the belt should not deflect that much if it is tensioned properly. Can anyone provide any information on this?

Also I know that the 2.5L engine is a zero clearance engine but is there a possibility that I didn't ruin the valves and the pistons? Should I even attempt to put the car back into time to see if any major damage was done???

Quick Reply: Update on 97 Dodge Avenger ES no start...