1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

99 Avenger ES 2.5L Gas peddle limp

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
DSXAvenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Avenger ES 2.5L Gas peddle limp

Hey guys, recently I had run into another issue with my avenger. I was going down the road with my family and the entire gas peddle got stuck and continued accelerating. Dangerous, I know. I had to slap the car in neutral and shut her off, continued to coast into drive way.

After this even happened, I restarted my car to find out my entire gas peddle is limp, I can push it all the way to the floor and get no response from the motor. If I push really hard I can get a little bit but I only did it once in fear of breaking something.

I was thinking maybe the throttle line had frayed inside the protecting housing and is caught up? Anyone have insight on this or how to fix it? I have bought a new car because I am tired of dumping $$ after $$ into my avenger just to find another problem. I would like to fix this so I can use it from time to time, lord knows I would never sell this to another user and still be able to rest my head at night.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated, and it is a throttle cable system. When the engine was stuck I noticed that my throttle under the hood was stuck open, possibly a tensioner somewhere in the housing that it loops back through and then into the firewall to the peddle?

Idk, confused, looking for help. You guys have always steered me right, and by guys I mean bad_venge haha.

Looking for your 2cents venge as it is always helped in the past.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 AM
DSXAvenger

So after a bit of searching I found this on the internet, and it sure sounds like it's an issue with my car, just wondering what part of the dash to remove :|

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 98V045002
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 27527
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE DASH PANEL PAD CAN SHIFT INTERFERRING WITH THE THROTTLE CABLE CONTROL.
Consequence: THE THROTTLE CABLE CONTROL WOULD NOT RETURN TO IDLE INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REMOVE A PORTION OF THE DASH PANEL PAD SO IT CANNOT INTERFERE WITH THE THROTTLE CABLE CONTROL.

The consequence is exactly what's happening. When I pull on throttle cab from inside cab like the peddles supposed to I get power to the motor and hear it rev up. How ever, the cable does NOT return and continues to stay at same RPM, if rev'd to 2000 RPM and let off she stays at 2000 RPM. That cable is getting hung up on something I'm pretty sure. I do not understand the reference DASH PANEL PAD. Any insight is greatly appreciated so I can get in and take it out and test.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check behind the manifold , they also fray there and can cause the same issue , also check the return spring

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
DSXAvenger

Thanks venge, I'll look into it this weekend when I have some free time. Looks like I'll have to remove the battery and the windshield washer jug to get a good look where it goes through the firewall. All in all might just replace the entire cable, good idea to replace the housing box that the cable feeds through too hey? No idea what the parts called.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 AM
DSXAvenger

Report, throttle cable was frayed. It was the cable from the tb to the housing piece I wasn't sure what it was. Upon opening it, it looks like it's the system to control cruise control etc. Bunch of discs in there for cable routing and so on. Opening it up and disconnecting the cable from the disc to the throttle body and realized that there is an issue with that cable, and that cable only. The cable that attaches to the peddle going through the firewall could freely move back and forth when I rotated the disc inside the housing with ease. Took out the faulty cable and working on replacing now, let you know how it goes!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Jessi2122
Default I have this same problem!

Originally Posted by DSXAvenger
Report, throttle cable was frayed. It was the cable from the tb to the housing piece I wasn't sure what it was. Upon opening it, it looks like it's the system to control cruise control etc. Bunch of discs in there for cable routing and so on. Opening it up and disconnecting the cable from the disc to the throttle body and realized that there is an issue with that cable, and that cable only. The cable that attaches to the peddle going through the firewall could freely move back and forth when I rotated the disc inside the housing with ease. Took out the faulty cable and working on replacing now, let you know how it goes!
Could you please help me I don't know what to do. I need to know what to look at first.

Quick Reply: 99 Avenger ES 2.5L Gas peddle limp