1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hard starting

Old 01-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Avenger ES 2.5 with around 140,000 miles on it. The car runs fine but the problem I am having lately is that it is beginning to start hard. It will crank a little longer than normal. I have an engine light on so I took it over to have the codes scanned and was told that an oxygen sensor is bad and all 6 cylinders were misfiring. I was told to clear the codes and when the light comes back on to have the codes pulled again which I will be doing tomorrow. I have already replaced the oxygen sensor in front of the converter and the one in the intake. Last year I replaced the front 3 spark plugs but did not do the back 3 as they are buried. I only put maybe 6 or 7,000 miles on the car per year and do not really drive it that much.

What possibly could be the problem with the hard starting. Like I said, once the car starts it runs fine so I do not think the cylinders are misfiring.

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the problem is not the 02 sensor as the 02 are not used as an input for starting and then not used until the car enters closed loop operation.

possible causes of a long crank are:
-loss of fuel rail prime...the fuel drains back to the tank so now when starting the fuel pump must push fuel all the length of the car from the tank to the fuel rail. a fuel pressure leakdown test or just cycling the key to run 4x before starting can confirm this.

-dirty throttle body. not enough air can get past the throttle due to the carbon build up. try starting with the throttle depressed slightly...if it starts ok...do a throttle body clean.

-change the old spark plugs

good luck

Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
kris82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What primem said + spark plug wires. Do a basic tune up. It's always a good idea to start with that if you haven't done it in a while.
Were you having any misfiring while driving under load? For example in OD on a highway up a little hill? If so a bad coil may be the reason. Mine caused my car to crank 2-3 times before starting in the morning and then it would start the first time for the rest of the day.

Search this Thread