1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Very bad Coolant leak!!! Need lots of opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:08 AM
SO TEEN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Very bad Coolant leak!!! Need lots of opinions!

Hey guys I am new to this thread and know almost nothing about this car. It is a 97 dodge avenger 2.5 L 6 cylinder I'm pretty sure. This vehicle is my girlfriends and she hasn't been driving it in forever because it was overheating very bad. I took it to the mechanics for her and they said they couldn't find much wrong with it besides the fact that it didn't have any coolant in it. So they filled it for us and had us check it the next morning to see if it was empty and to not much surprise it was nearly empty... He had us check the engine oil for a milky color to see if it was a blown head gasket and it was not milky so we are assumed it was maybe the water pump. We just got around to it today to see if it was still having the same problem. We filled it up and let it run for like 2 or 3 hours. 30 minutes or so the water level started going down (We were doing this with the rad. cap off so we could see the water level). We filled it back up and just kept it going then it began draining out the bottom of the engine quite rapidly like it had puddled up somewhere and then finally started overflowing. It was leaking off the driver side portion right under the thermostat almost. This is why i began to think that it was not the water pump. Question one.. Under the cylinder head i know there is a space. Is this space slanted enough to let liquid run down it? If so this leak could still be coming from the water pump that is on the opposite side of the engine. The problem is there is not much visibility within this engine. (I'm used to Toyota's having built a few myself. This engine is very complicated compared to those). Question 2.. Does coolant go through something around the cylinder area? Could it be leaking from a hose of some sort under there? That is where the leak seems to be coming from from what we can see.
This picture is the exact same engine but not her engine because its dark at the time of me writing this post so i don't have pictures of the engine.
Yellow arrow is the way the coolant is coming from and leaking onto the ground at. The blue circle is where I believe it is coming from?

Please let me know what you think!!! She is very stressed out about it and hates having to depend on other people to get her to work and other stuff. Thank you for reading my super long post and hopefully you can help.

Attached Thumbnails Very bad Coolant leak!!! Need lots of opinions!-chloe-engine-pic-drawn-on.jpg