1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hard shifting transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifting transmission

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Avenger ES that I am about to do some maintenance to. The car has around 150,000 easy miles on it and is running fine except for a couple of things. First off it will stall a bit at low speeds or at an idle which I suspect might be from a dirty fuel filter, which I am about to change this weekend. Also, the transmission seems to be slipping a bit and shifting hard so I will change the fluid this weekend as well to see if that helps. I would like to know if I need to put sealant on the transmission gasket? In the past I was told you need yellow silicone on the gasket but now I see that no sealant is needed on the gasket. I did notice that there is some fluid leaking under the car around the transmission pan and oil pan but that may just be blowing off the transmission pan. I have not really investigated that yet.

Anyhow, what else might be causing the stalling and hard transmission shifting?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 PM
07ChargerDude
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once these A604s start to go, that's it.

When I bought my 2000 ES, I put a medium trans cooler on it immediately.
Went 153,000 miles, no drive-train repairs...

If you do a fluid change, the adaptives need reset, because these are
learning transmissions. AS it ages, and fluid loses viscosity, it adjusts
the shift parameters and pressures.

I have never used sealant on the trans pan gasket, just thoroughly clean the surfaces,
and make sure they're dry.