1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Window tint question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
yanickee
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint question!

Hey,
Had couple "Do it yourself, and save some money" questions about how to remove the old tint (the easiest and cheapest way! ), how to put a new layer, what is the best way to do it, besides paying a lot for something you can do urself!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:02 PM
redaveng99es
Default RE: Window tint question!

Never tried it but I saw some tint that you can order on ebay where they already have it precut for your windows. That would be easiest way to put it back on. It cost like $40 for the tint already cut. At Walmart it would cost you probably $20. So its not bad, its really hard to cut the tint because its so thin and can rip easily. I'd say that is the best way to go.

Good Luck,
Heath

Old 03-05-2006, 08:06 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Most shops just peel the tint off the sides and they use ammonia and a brillo pad/steel wool/scrubbing pad of some sort like you would use windex to clean windows, to remove the adhesive. For the rear window, if you have a rear defroster, soak the back window with ammonia and once it's soaked place a slit open, black 30-50 gallon trash bag on it and let it site for a couple hours out in the hot sun. Check on it every so often and respray ammonia if needed. Your car will stink, this is normal. Once you get the film off, use the scrubbing item to clean the back glass + ammonia. The rear is the hardest...have fun. There, you done.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 AM
TODD0341
Rookie

X2, thats excellent advice! Thats exactly how it is done properly.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: redaveng99es

Never tried it but I saw some tint that you can order on ebay where they already have it precut for your windows. That would be easiest way to put it back on. It cost like $40 for the tint already cut. At Walmart it would cost you probably $20. So its not bad, its really hard to cut the tint because its so thin and can rip easily. I'd say that is the best way to go.

Good Luck,
Heath
I wouldn't recommend buying the precut ones because to properly put on tint, you would have to contour the tint to your glass with a heat gun. Sure you could place tint on your window and cut it to size and then put it on, but if you don't contour it and it has sat for awhile it WILL pop back up...aka, bubble up. You may be able to contour the precut tint, but I wouldn't advise getting it in the first place.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 AM
TODD0341
Rookie

I wanted to add something to this real quick. When contouring the tint to your window, he means spreading it on the outside and using something to heat it so it bends with the window. I usually use an actual heat gun set on low, but you can use a hair dryer . Just dont get to close to the tint or else youll melt it.

check out these links

TINT REMOVAL:
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html

TINTING THE CAR:
http://www.tintdude.com/tint.html

Old 03-20-2006, 12:53 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: TODD0341

I wanted to add something to this real quick. When contouring the tint to your window, he means spreading it on the outside and using something to heat it so it bends with the window. I usually use an actual heat gun set on low, but you can use a hair dryer . Just dont get to close to the tint or else youll melt it.

check out these links

TINT REMOVAL:
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html

TINTING THE CAR:
http://www.tintdude.com/tint.html
Excellent finds!

Quick Reply: Window tint question!