1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

HELP ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
droppedavenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME!!!

my oil press guage runs at the bottom at idle then while driving moves up some do i need to replace the oil pump or are they just like that on these avengers dosnt seem like lacking oil but to make sure before i pony up the 300$ any one know whats up??? new to dodge

Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
TODD0341
Rookie
Default RE: HELP ME!!!

Ive read about that gauge being a little off...mine does it too and it only has 79K on the motor. Sometimes it reads right--sometimes it doesnt . If you really want to know what it is you can get an inline adapter and place it inbetween the sensor and the port on the block...get a gauge and see what your pressure really is.

Thats what Im going to end up doing b/c it has me a little paranoid sometimes.. also you can test the resistance on the sensor and see if it is incorrect.....it may be. I dont konw what the stock resistance should be, but Im sure its easy to find around here somewhere

Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mine did that too on both the 6g73 and the 4g63. I replaced my oil pressure sender and pressure went back to normal.
Every car is different though since it could also be sludge that got loose and partially plugged an opening and caused the pressure to drop at the sender or it could be the gauge or even bad wire. That sender can and will go bad though, that's the first thing I would check

Old 07-10-2006, 05:38 AM
hckyplayer8
Rookie

avengers have a rep of this problem mine did it right after i got my oil changed cuz im 2 dang lazy to do it my self my advice dont worry about it n check your oil religiously as ne decent car guy knows you just dont trust sensors by themselves you check it out for yourself

Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Very true, but even an inaccurate gauge can let you know when things are about to get a little more complicated. Besides that, they are there so IMO, use them with discretion and...inaccuracy is no reason to not look at them.

It's most likely time to change the oil pressure sending unit and/or clean the sludge off the contacts. Also make sure that the OPS wire isn't touching the exhaust piping.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can always ground the wire going to the OPS and look at your gauge to see if it goes to high pressure...with the car on "ACC" of course

Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 AM
robertwyoung
Rookie

My 98 just started doing this also. Goes low on idle and raises while driving. I took it to the local quick oil change shop yesterday and it started today.