1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

valve and tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
cbccadet2002
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve and tranny problems

I recently noticed a ticking while idling. Its not all of the time thought. it lasts for about 5 to 10 secs, then stops for a few secs. Does the valves need adjusted?I thought there were hydraulic adjusters so there would be no adjustment? Also when i shift into drive and let my foot off of teh brake my A/T kinda jumps into first. But if i keep my foot on the brake it wont as hard. And no im not still rolling back when i shift into first, i come to complete stop. Thanks for the help

Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: valve and tranny problems

Welcome to DF cbccadet. You might want to check your tranny fluid. Look for the normal signs such as, the color, smell...metal flakes.

Open your hood and listen for the ticking and pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 AM
cbccadet2002
Rookie

It sounds like its coming from under the upper intake. Cant tell if its number 1 or 5 cylinder though. And teh tranny fluid is turning kinda dark, ive never changed it before so i don't know how it smells new. I have around 93k on the fluid probably.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yup, time to change the tranny fluid...a flush and filter change IMO. I only recommend MOPAR ATF+3 for the these transmissions though....that is, that is what I would do.

Check your motor oil too. Check for color, smell, and flakes. The motor and tranny oil will have a burnt smell to it if it's worn out. Although you may not know how it should and shouldn't smell now, you may want to periodically smell the oil(s) you will start to learn how the should smell.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 AM
cbccadet2002
Rookie

I just noticed today that the valves tap only at idle, but then again the fart can is a little loud. Any one know what may cause this? oil pump goin out or spitting weakly at low rpm's. if you have any ideas please let me know thnakx

Old 08-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Driftersdr

sounds similiar to the problem I'm having? does it studder when you accelerate?

Old 08-06-2006, 03:29 AM
bgm

first of all, i'd like to say hello and that i'm new to the dodge avenger car and forum. secondly i want to take a second to mention i'm not trying to thread hijack, just dont see the point of starting a new thread for this question. just bought a 97 avenger with 151K KM (yes, I'm canadian) and im going to be going through all the things i suppose i should (all new fluids/flushes/tune-up etc) and i'm just wondering to some of the more seasoned avenger owners, what motor oil would you recommend, aswell as any other things i should be looking at before she hits the road. I don't really have much to add to this thread as is, so forgive me for that. thanks for any response. hope to be posting more frequently on this forum. thanks

Quick Reply: valve and tranny problems